Notices

HELP!!! Did I kill the car?

Old 06-02-2003, 04:55 AM
ehBuddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!!! Did I kill the car?

Split forum guys I'm sorry, just looking for as much advice as possible.

Okay... my brother let me take his new 6-speed (with 600 miles on it) out to drive by myself after hours of me begging him to let me drive it. I'm going along on the highway at about 65-75 in 5th gear when I decide to downshift to 4th... ONLY , I accidentally hit 2nd and for a split second the tach shot up to what seemed like 8k rpm until I punched the clutch and threw the car into neutral. I've been too scared to tell my bro what happened (he'd kick my ass if he knew) but I'm wondering if I just ruined his car. I've heard that the rev limiter kicks in to cut off the gas but not for something bone headed like what I did to make the engine hit 8k rpm. Is there any way to know how bad I might of F'ed up the car? Please let me know if I killed his car!
Old 06-02-2003, 05:10 AM
AccordSleeper
Former H22 Accord Owner

if it's still idling smoothly and runs ok you should be fine. the fuel cut doesn't stop a missshift from 5th to 2nd. i don't think you were going fast enough to blow it up like some do.

this missshifting from 5th to 2nd seems to be a common thing with 6sp trannies like the celica GTS and RSX-S.
Old 06-02-2003, 05:32 AM
Funkwheat

I wouldn't worry about it at all, if the car doesn't seem to run, or shift any different... When I was first learning to drive standard, I must've done shit like that like 20 times, on my girlfriend's car, and my mom's car. I was constantly misshifting into 3rd, instead of fifth, and it just kinda made a horrifying noise. Doing that once is not gonna kill anyone.
Old 06-02-2003, 06:29 AM
decibel_dj

like was said its a nooby thing we all misshift (worse in 6speeds) since u caught it in time and werent going that fast it shouldnt be a big deal either way
Old 06-02-2003, 06:44 AM
vtecaccord01
Performance isn't $$$

you only did it once you will be find. I did that on my 5th gen twice and she is ok, but that is some scary shit though.
Old 06-02-2003, 07:57 AM
AcuraFanatic

It should be fine. Just be more careful next time.
Old 06-02-2003, 04:30 PM
jschmid

From another board and was recently posted. Car is RSX-S.

"A couple of weeks ago, I was cruisin with my friend on a Sunday in his RSX-S. His only mods are: intake, exhaust, and a Hondata Flash. Well, he decides to drop the hammer and show me what his car has. He started redlining every gear. He was at about 7k RPMs in 5th, and for whatever reason, he decides to downshift into 4th. The gear box on a RSX-S is real close together and it's a 6 speed. So, instead of shifting to 4th, he accidentally shifted into 2nd gear right around 7k RPMs. All of a sudden, we hear a "boom" and it started to stink real bad. Right after that, we heard the chunks of the block falling out from underneith the car and hitting the chassis. The smoke got so bad we couldn't see infront of us, so he slammed on the brakes and pulled to the shoulder. We jump out of the car to realize his motor was on fire. Needless to say, we put the fire out before the fire truck came, and got a friend to pull us back home."

Pics:
Oil pan:

these used to be pistons:

You might have gotten a bit lucky.
Old 06-02-2003, 04:38 PM
Mr Hyde
Accord Forum Moderator

One mishift like with that RSX-S above can kill an engine, but it sounds like you did theright thing and caught it before anything happened. If the car isdriving fine, I wouldnt worry about it. Normally damage from a mishift make sitself known right away.

The TL-S / The 540i
Old 06-02-2003, 06:39 PM
accordtuner
Banned

holy shit.:wtf:
Old 06-02-2003, 06:56 PM
ehBuddy

Good god!!! Some of you guys are freaking the hell out of me! One thing I feel confident about is that i didn't start a nuclear meltdown under the hood. I was looking over some other threads and i hope that my mis-shift doesn't make my bro's car burn oil or anything. The car was just barely past its honda break-in point (~600 mi)... that's actually why he decided to let me drive it.