Notices
Do It Yourself This is where you will find step by step instructions so you can Do it Yourself!

Honda Civic Wagon 88-91: De-Rattle Your Rear Gate

Old 03-14-2003, 11:37 PM
wagon89

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default De rattle your 88-91 wagon rear gate

I found out of the 3 wagons I have ridden in including my own the tailgates rattle when driving over rough roads. Several things can be done to rid your wagon of this problem

First inspect the latch where the striker hits from the hatch if there is now longer a black plastic piece on it you will need to replace it about $35.00 from Honda and don't bother looking for a used one as most I have seen have the plastic that covers this part has worn away do to lack of being greased.

Second try and adjust the rubber knobs on the tailgate the lower ones are not adjustable but the upper ones are.

Third and this is where my rattle was coming from remove the license plate then remove the surround in back of the plate there are 6 screws at the top on the outside, then remove the inner interior panel on the liftgate remove the four 8mm bolts holding the plate surround to the car and unplug the lic plate light harness there is a center part holding the plate surround from the outside it pops out just be careful not to break it. This plate surround has nothing to stop it from rattling against the lift gate I used foam tape from the home depot on the backside of the plate surround and the rattles where gone for good.