Notices
Audio, Security, & Automotive Lighting Troubleshoot wiring problems and get equipment suggestions all in one place. Now expanded to include Automotive Lighting

Pioneer steering wheel remote

Old 01-26-2003, 07:49 AM
r1ch_b

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pioneer steering wheel remote

I have the steering wheel remote for my Premier P840MP and I'm having problems with it.

I usually put it on the left side of my steering, and it never work when the outer face is down/opened.
It works sometimes when the outer face is closed.

I tried several other places, but it still have difficulties working when the outer face is opened.

Is it supposed to be like that?

I'd like to know all of your experiences before I claim it to Pioneer.

Thx...

PS: I just change the battery, so it's not becasue of that
Old 01-26-2003, 11:19 AM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

That can be tricky. If the remote is not RF, and I don't think it is, you need to pretty much point it directly to the radio. IR needs a line of sight to operate. The diodes cannot communicate without "seeing" each other. I know the steering wheel control is supposed to offer complete flexability, but if you don't have it pointing to the head unit, and the grille would probably need to be up, it won't work. Just like your TV or VCR remote. If you try it at an angle or have an obstruction in front of it, it won't work.
Old 01-28-2003, 05:59 AM
r1ch_b

anybody else have experience???
Old 02-07-2003, 09:33 PM
Max Power
Buff Member

i was about to get the steering wheel remote for my 6400 but someone told me it didn't work very good, go figure.

i got the cdr-600 instead. its a normal remote just bigger than the credit card style one that comes stock. it works excellently even when you're outside the car, but you have to point it at the h/u for it to work