Notices

Im poor!!!

Old 04-16-2008, 09:43 AM
whatinthe
The Duke of Earl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Im poor!!!

Do u HAVE to get ur cylinders honed or bored before u get new rings or can u just buy new rings.
Old 04-16-2008, 09:49 AM
2001TEGGSR

If you want those new rings to seat properly, then yes.

I've seen lazy people get away with out honing, but I still wouldn't recommend it.
Old 04-17-2008, 10:33 AM
whatinthe
The Duke of Earl

Word
Old 04-17-2008, 04:40 PM
Fuse

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At least deglaze the cylinders. You can get the deglazers from auto zone (lots of little abrasive balls attached by wires to a main shaft) some people call them hones, ball hones same shit. The angle of your cross hatch is very impotent if i remember rite is a 60 degree.

Feel the top of your cylinder if their is a lip at the top edge your rings have worn into the cylinders. Get bigger piston .010 or .020 over sized and have them bore the cylinders bigger. With bigger piston you some times can pick up a little power but the bigger you go the thiner the cylinder walls. Plus with new piston you can change your compression ration. This is when your hondata comes in handy.

Last edited by Fuse; 04-17-2008 at 04:46 PM.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:10 AM
whatinthe
The Duke of Earl

Sweet!! I can do that!! Have u ever bored them out? Is it worth the work and the money to get the new pistons? Dont forget I live in Cali so I have to get it SMOGed still. I have to keep it street legal. It sucks but this might be something that I can hide.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:18 PM
Fuse

You cant bore them out a machine shop can. Ya I have worked with a couple blocks that have been bored out. You don't really have to do anything but find a good machine shop. I do not know all of California's rules but if you keep the same compression ratio or bump it up a little you should be fine + get it tuned. Higher compression usually needs a high octane fuel and a little less timing advance.

Examples the b18a/b run a 9/1 compression ratio some of the b16a/b18cs run a 10/1 some of the ks run 11/1 or 12/1. Compression = power, bigger bore = power. How much power don't expect to set the world on fire. If you are planing on going turbo compression is the enemy and maintaining your stock cylinder wall thickness is good so boring is bad (the cylinders are less likely to crack or deform the bigger thy are).
Old 04-19-2008, 09:46 AM
whatinthe
The Duke of Earl

I kinda have my heart set on one of those Jackson Racing Super Chargers. Do u still build it the same as u wud a turbo motor? (low compression, bigger combustion chamber)
Old 04-19-2008, 04:10 PM
Fuse

Ya you want low compression and thick cylinder walls. You don't want to run a 13 to 1 compression if your are boosting/super charging or bore it out a hole lot (at least on street gas). I have a few friends running turbos with .020 over sized pistons no problems yet. Thy are running block guards too. I have done some reading your can go further over sized but that would be risky if your are boosting/super charging more of a naturally aspirated power adder.

Jackson? Thy seam ok I have never worked on one. The only problem I see is you can not cool your intake temp comparable to a centrifugal super charger. Lets say you use a water to air inter cooler and a Jackson supercharger, you would cool your charge a little then compress it and re heat it. If you use a centrifugal super charger you compress your air heat it then cool it in the inter cooler.

You see what I'm saying an inter cooler cools hotter air better then colder air because the water you use is around ambient temperature If the air you are cooling is at ambient temperature and your water is at ambient temperature you will not get much of a cooling affect but if your air is at 180 degrees and your water is at 80 you get more of a cooling affect. So basically the air entering your engine with a centrifugal super charger should be cooler in theory.

This all is shit talking if you are using ice water but do you want to fill your car with ice water every day? I have also done some reading that centrifugal super chargers run a bit cooler and a bit more efficient then a screw/roots/lysholm whatever the Jackson is. The only draw back is thy have to run very fast and are not a liner compressor meaning every revolting dose not equal more boost because thy need a lot of speed to even start boost onset.

I'm sure i have raised some feather of some people hear. So if any one wants to post their ideas on superchargers go ahead no affiance taken. I may be way wrong all of my stamens are based of what I have read I do not have a lot of hands on with super chargers.

Whatinthe if you want to learn more go to a local book store and take a peak in the auto section theirs is a lot of good books out their on turbos, super chargers, tuning you name it. In the end I prefer a turbo but this is another place and another time the debate on what one is better will never end.

Last edited by Fuse; 04-19-2008 at 04:20 PM.