Notices

Car will hardly start (help)

Old 11-16-2006, 11:11 AM
zach1288

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car will hardly start (help)

Ok here is the story. Last week i noticed it was taking longer and longer each day to get my car started. It would just turn over and over then finally start. Well i put a new battery in it last week and it had been starting fine. Then a couple days ago it started doing the same thing each morning and afternoon when i got out of school. Today it would hardly start it took a good 10 turn overs before it started. Once its started it runs fine and if the engine has been running for a few minutes and i shut it off and then start it again it will start fine. Its only when the car has been sitting over night or during the day when im at school. I dont know what it could be? The engine has brand new plugs,wires,dizzy cap/rotor.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:19 AM
t3t4delsol

are you having a problem with you battery draning? check you neg battery post, make sure its clean and tight, also check you altarnator belt deflection
Old 11-16-2006, 11:21 AM
zach1288

Originally Posted by t3t4delsol
are you having a problem with you battery draning? check you neg battery post, make sure its clean and tight, also check you altarnator belt deflection

The battery is fine, it will crank the engine all day its just the engine wont fire seems to be the problem.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:31 AM
Wharbone

It could be the ignitor coil.

Are you getting spark?
Old 11-16-2006, 11:36 AM
zach1288

Originally Posted by Wharbone
It could be the ignitor coil.

Are you getting spark?

Like i said it runs fine after its started. If i wasnt getting spark it wouldnt run good after i got it started correct?
Old 11-16-2006, 12:20 PM
zach1288

If thinking it might be a fuel problem, like i said if i run the car then shut it off for a few minutes then start it again it starts fine. But if it sits all night and i go to start it it takes a long time. Could it be a bad fuel pump or filter? How can i check?
Old 11-16-2006, 01:53 PM
project_hatch
Power by Uncle Ben's Rice

I was thinking fuel system...Could also be an injector for Fuel pressure regulator. If it's your fuel pump, turn your key to the start position, you should hear the pump, if you hear it, then it should be find, but if you know someone with a fuel pressure tester there's a cap on your fuel rail that you can check your fuel pressure this will also tell you if your FPR is sticking. If you havn't replaced your filter in about 5,000 miles, then it's best to replace it if it's bad or not...injectors...check to see if your leaking from your vents on the side of the injector (4 vents per injector) you can also pull them to see what the little rubber cups look like on the tip of the injector, if they are messed up, maybe it's your spray pattern?
Old 11-16-2006, 06:57 PM
95LSv
Banded

So you're not getting any check engine codes? Well, my car does the same thing, except I have ECT sensor check light, and I've been told thats what causes this (in my case at least).
Old 11-17-2006, 12:59 AM
A-series
v-card member alpha

I plan to get my fuel filter changed soon as I have a similar problem. The engine turns over 4 or 5 times after sitting over night (didn't do this until it started getting colder out) but if it's been driven within a few hours it only takes 2 or so. Occasionally it takes longer than that even if the engine's still warm and it seems as if it might stall for a split second. I'm just hoping it's the filter.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:09 PM
project_hatch
Power by Uncle Ben's Rice

Check inside your dizzy cap and see if there is buildup on it, try using some electrical cleaner and clean that shit up