Notices

92 Civic Si stalling???

Old 10-12-2006, 05:08 PM
Musicman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 92 Civic Si stalling???

I have a 92 Si hatchback that every once in a while will stall while driving down the road..doesn't matter if it's hot or cold....been running a few minutes or an hour.....almost always it wont start back up...have to let it sit....not the main relay as i've replaced it and the next day did the same thing.....dies and wont sputter or nothing...before I dive into it I wanted to get ya'lls opinions first....thanks.
Old 10-12-2006, 06:28 PM
CivicSiRacer
Honorary Moderator Alumni

Did you try another Main Relay? Sounds like that.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:37 AM
Musicman

After it dies, I turn the ignition off...I turn it back on and can hear the fuel pump so I don't think its that. It doesn't sputter, just clunk and dies....I'm thinking electrical, distributor maybe?
Old 10-13-2006, 08:56 AM
Fuse

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do you have spark when it wont restart if it dosent i have seen a bad ignitor do this works then fails then works (the ignitor is a little box under your dizzy four wires and two bolts it controls the ignition coil when it gets hot it fails when is cool it works souds fermilure hu)

Last edited by Fuse; 10-13-2006 at 08:59 AM.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:00 PM
95LSv
Banded

If it were the distributor you would head it turn over but not start. Since its not the relay, it might be your starter... I had an old toyota that used to do this... try to push start it when it won't turn on
Old 10-14-2006, 12:36 PM
Musicman

I don't know if it has spark, I get off in the early AM and it's dark...no flashlight to work under the hood.
It does turn over, not the starter.
I bought all the parts and tuned her up this afternoon, plugs were hosed but still don't think that was the prob. Cap, rotor, wires, plugs and air filter. It started up and was nice and smooth but I suspect something in the dizzy...found two of the three bolts holding the cap on to be somewhat loose...maybe some moisture in the electronics...Gotta work in a couple hours and drive 2+ hours(135miles)....i'll keep you informed....thanks for all your inputs.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:50 PM
Fuse

Originally Posted by Musicman
I don't know if it has spark, I get off in the early AM and it's dark...no flashlight to work under the hood.
It does turn over, not the starter.
I bought all the parts and tuned her up this afternoon, plugs were hosed but still don't think that was the prob. Cap, rotor, wires, plugs and air filter. It started up and was nice and smooth but I suspect something in the dizzy...found two of the three bolts holding the cap on to be somewhat loose...maybe some moisture in the electronics...Gotta work in a couple hours and drive 2+ hours(135miles)....i'll keep you informed....thanks for all your inputs.
so it doesent turn over ok check the ohms on the + and - cables ther should be very little (.1 or less)plase the meter on the + at the battery and the starter hot big wire and for the - the - at the batery and the - on the body look for loose cables or coroshion.test the battery.you could also look at the cylinoid wire its the little on going to your starter you should see 12v with the key in the start position if you dont its probly your ignition swithch.i have also sean people pain there starters big no no the starter is grounded threw the 2 bolts pain opens the ground thus no start.ho some of this will help

Last edited by Fuse; 10-14-2006 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-14-2006, 05:39 PM
Musicman

It does turn over, just won't start. When I say I don't know if it doesn't have spark, I mean at the plugs. Running fine right now, put 135 miles on it since the tune up today. Time will tell.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:12 AM
Fuse

sorry didnt read rite hope you have no more problems
Old 10-15-2006, 08:54 PM
Musicman

Still running good, got 400+ miles on it. No problems...do have to address the low idle though, sounds like hte idle control valve is dirty or needs replacing...thanks for your help.