Notices

need a good civic, and powertrain build list

Old 09-30-2006, 02:41 PM
robertk515

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need a good civic, and powertrain build list

Hello,
i am completely new into the sport compact field, BUT i am no noob at engine build ups. i want a list of the best civic candidates (as in what years) and i would like a parts list of everything i need to push 300 horsepower out of a honda 4 cyl engine, i am going to build a car on a pretty large budget (somewhere between 20 and 25 grand) and want just the right things that will give me what im looking for.

im looking for a 2 door civic, but am not sure what years are better than others.

i definetly want to run a turbo, or twins if anyone knows of a place to get a kit.

i am going to build the engine myself from the ground up with everything beefed if i have to. (thats what i need the parts list for)

the car is going to have no cosmetic modifications exept wheels and tires.

i want a really great suspension system, prefferably to lower its stance.

a heavy duty transmission that will be able to be beaten on, cv joints, the works.

and not sure what else, i need some really good opinions on this so i can do it right and have a nice running civic.

so everything you guys can give me will be extremely apreciated
Old 09-30-2006, 03:49 PM
fathergoat
:3

Welcome to HAN! You have a mighty big budget to do what you want. I prefer the 92-95 body myself but you can do it with any civic really. 300hp out of a civic really isn't hard, a built D16 can do that, but with your budget I would get a B18 to build up and make 450+. There are many people on this board that will give you better advice than I, but I'll try to give you an idea. A stock manual Honda transmission can handle about 350hp. Most of the off the shelf turbo kits will be crazy over priced and likely too weak for what you want. Consider piecing together a kit. www.homemadeturbo.com will help.

turbo
manifold
wastegate
intercooler
piping
Blow off valve
boost control
pistons
rods
ARP bolts
MLS head gasket
Tuning software (crome www.pgmfi.org )
Injectors
Fuel pump

there is more but that should help you get started with some stuff to look at. some of the other members will add to the list and maybe give you some sites to look at for parts.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:33 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

92-95 civics are cheap and plentiful. you can buy a turbo kit from full-race or peakboost that will make well over 400whp. or piece together your own kit with the pieces you want. twin turbo's on an I4 is stupid and impractical.

pick up a b18c1 and rebuild it to take lots of boost. port and polish the head, itr or ctr cams and the acompaning valvetrain. have it sleeved, bored, forged pistons and rods, balanced, new bearings, seals, gaskets, etc.

stock honda trannies are very strong. use a b16/itr/gsr and throw in a quaife lsd, and stronger clutch.

Last edited by Snoopy; 10-01-2006 at 01:59 PM.
Old 10-01-2006, 01:53 PM
robertk515

i was thinking of twins not for practicality really, just to say i have twins, you know? i have seen a twin turbo setup on a crx in a town close by with one turbo used to spool the larger turbo for rediculous sounding exhaust and i would guess some pretty good boost after the lag of both turbos.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:55 AM
97civicEXVTEC

Don't waste your money.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:34 PM
descivic

yea dude seriously dont bother with twins.. people will want to slap you.. If for some god awful reason you do decide to go twin.. I got 2 words for you Turbo-Lag.. Those things probably wont gain any positive boost until around 7000 rpm more or less and then your power band is useless.. just get like a t3 t4 turbo or something along the lines... trust me it will take you alot of time and money tro make your car use all the boost that turbo has to offer.. as far a chassis go.. I dunno Im a sucker for the eg hatch or coupe.. you can find them a dime a dozen these days.. As far as engine goes, keep in mind a 300 hp civic is like driving a 400+ hp Muscle... you can take the money and build the engine that comes in the car, if you get a eg your going to be dealing with the d-series engines.. not bad engines they can make power cheaper than swapping a B and boosting.. but the B, H, and Ultimatley K Series engines will have more "potential" So depending on how much money you want to drop It can get pricey.. Good Luck with it
Old 10-02-2006, 03:57 PM
robertk515

so i know that im not going to be running twins i get the picture, after thinking about what i said i realize it was prettymuch rediculous to think of twins on such a small engine.... ok, so tell me where to get parts for d series engines. i have been reading a lot of good things on b series engines, and wouldnt mind doing a swap. but i just need some type of way to get friggin parts!!!!!!

GOOOOOOOOOD parts!!!!!!! I want this thing to run hard!
Old 10-02-2006, 04:00 PM
robertk515

and ive also read on b series engines that they cannot take more than 7 pounds of boost. where would i get sleeves that can take more than 7 pounds??????????

im so clueless..... its sad, i feel like i know nothing about engines at all with these things!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-05-2006, 02:25 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

b series can easily take 10-12psi on the stock sleeves with good tuning. if you still want to sleeve, golden eagle,erl, and bensons all have sleeving services that are top notch.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:49 PM
descivic

If you got the money man I'd get darton sleeves, Ive had really good luck with them, Just find a good machinest that can work on ALUMINUM engines.. Alot of the machinest's only know how to work on Iron blocks.. after you get the sleeves installed.. it will probably be worth the extra $$ to have it align bored,
As far as rods go, I'd get some H-beam crower or carillo rods carillo rods can get pricey and You probably will have to have them special ordered but they wont break.. Hell while your at it get SRP Head studs and rod bolts. Pistons I go with JE they work well and get them at about 8.5:1 Comp. I mean if you want a serious amount of power, you need to upgrade ignition, fuel, Engine management, and Internals. Hope it helps