Notices

Help my accord is busted :(

Old 06-21-2006, 05:05 PM
Baget
All Show and No Go!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help my accord is busted :(

my passanger door won't open from the outside I just got it into a shop and they told me $360 to fix it...

it opens from the inside but not the outside they said its some clip that broke? They also said they had to order the part from honda and that is $120.

Am I getting ripped off here? And if so where can I find some info to come after these guys.

Old 06-21-2006, 05:10 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know? Open it up and figure it out for free.

Come after these guys Just take a day and do it yourself man.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:12 PM
v6_accord_jerz
Stupid Power Ball

wow, $240 in labor???? thats crazy i just brought a alternator and they wanted $100 to install it and i did it myself instead.....if your handy it shouldn't be hard, find out the piece "they said" you needed and try n find it cheaper then do it yourself, takin off your door panel shouldn't take longer then 5 mins. Get a haynes/helms manual if your not sure or search the web on installation .......if you got $$$ like that, then go ahead n pay them to do it, me personally i'd do it myself....good luck
Old 06-21-2006, 05:19 PM
Baget
All Show and No Go!

I took it off once already and coudlnt' see anything near the problem.

If I do the 'let them tell me whats wrong trick' I still have to pay them atleast $100. I'm handy but I am also extremely taxed for time for a project like this.
Old 06-21-2006, 05:25 PM
v6_accord_jerz
Stupid Power Ball

what kinda of accord do you have?
Old 06-21-2006, 10:50 PM
CaliAccord

Our Odyssey had a problem like that. It could only be opened from the inside.

The problem was that the outside handle lifts a rod. The end of the rod fit into a plastic connector, which then plugs into another rod (which opens the door and is connected to the inside handle). The cost of the piece was like a dollar.

I've taken off the door of both of my accords many times, but I've never looked at how the door handles are hooked up. But if it's anything like the Odyssey, you'll definintely want to do it yourself. Otherwise, they might be blaming something else, replace the tiny plastic connector, and then charge you for the thing they're blaming it on.

And yes, it was less than $1 (not including tax I believe)
Old 06-21-2006, 10:54 PM
CaliAccord

Originally Posted by Baget
I took it off once already and coudlnt' see anything near the problem.

If I do the 'let them tell me whats wrong trick' I still have to pay them atleast $100. I'm handy but I am also extremely taxed for time for a project like this.
I couldn't see the problem at first either...I had to get a flashlight, and play around with both handles until I saw the problem. Actually, one rod was out of sight (I guess momentum threw it there), and I had to play around until I saw where they met. The connector is first pushed into the hole, and then the outside door handle's rod is pushed into the middle of the connector.

I can't imagine anything else being wrong if your inside handle is letting you open the door (ie: the latch is working).
Old 06-21-2006, 10:56 PM
90CvcDX
kekeke

Originally Posted by CaliAccord
Our Odyssey had a problem like that. It could only be opened from the inside.

The problem was that the outside handle lifts a rod. The end of the rod fit into a plastic connector, which then plugs into another rod (which opens the door and is connected to the inside handle). The cost of the piece was like a dollar.

I've taken off the door of both of my accords many times, but I've never looked at how the door handles are hooked up. But if it's anything like the Odyssey, you'll definintely want to do it yourself. Otherwise, they might be blaming something else, replace the tiny plastic connector, and then charge you for the thing they're blaming it on.

And yes, it was less than $1 (not including tax I believe)
My civic is the same design so i would imagine all older hondas and some newer ones have the same or relatively close design to the door handle mechanism. it can be a difficult part to get to unless you can somehow pop the handle off. good luck though, 360 is a rip off imo.
Old 06-22-2006, 08:28 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not difficult at all if you're smart and take out the window runner channels for access
Old 06-23-2006, 08:03 AM
Baget
All Show and No Go!

ah christ why would he tell me the part is $140?

like I said I did not have time to do it myself. How long would it take one of you guys to take it apart and put it back together?