Notices

used Accord questions

Old 02-24-2006, 06:23 AM
accordcivic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default used Accord questions

Hi y'all...

I was pondering saving up for a used Accord. My '90 Civic is still going but at almost 300 K and possible tranny problems on the horizon (really stiff in Park; especially difficult to gearshift when cold?) that I have to figure out, I am again looking at getting an Accord in the future.

Some questions:

I am thinking about a '90/'91 Accord I can buy fairly quickly (a couple of pay cheques and probably needing some maintenance investment) or a mid-nineties Accord. Is there any year range that is good or better for the buck than the others in this price range? I'd be looking at a dealer (and payments) for such cars and for the older Accords, I can look at either private or a dealer. I am hoping to find a decent EX or EX-R model. I might as well get one with the higher HP and they are more common around here than an LX anyway.

My other question is about engines: Is a I4 or V6 a choice or is the V6 too much of a problem and not really solved until the late 90s models? I have the impression that I either read or heard that the V6 models didn't really have their issues ironed out until '98 or even later than that.

Lastly, what issues are most important to you? I am just curious in case I've overlooked something. I have the idea that low rust or no rust is preferable in case you want to work on your own car. It is so much easier if things are not too corroded and you don't have to get extra tools all the time to get off bolts etc. Furthermore, I am thinking for Accords, that suspension, brake and minor engine troubles (spark plugs etc.) are the only problems to be tolerated. They are some of the repairs do-it-yourselfers can manage and any sign of engine trouble (cylinders etc.) means the car should be avoided.

One other thing: manual v.s. automatic. I've only drove auto and I'm wondering if stick presents any problems other than getting used to it and worrying about clutch repairs.

That's all I can think of for now. I appreciate all comments, suggestions and advice.

Last edited by accordcivic; 02-24-2006 at 06:29 AM.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:31 AM
jobrien

What I would look for:
1. Well maintained? Maintenance records, if possible. You can generally see this by just looking at the car inside and out.
2. Tramission smooth
3. Not smoking
4. No rust
Old 02-24-2006, 06:32 AM
FallenAngelHIM

they say manual transmission lasts longer, but then again if you don't know what you're doing...i guess an older car is good to learn on.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:31 AM
Honura_Kit

I personally wouldn't buy used cars. Unless I knew the owner. You could be spending more money on fixing. Just my preference
Old 02-24-2006, 11:59 AM
Misa
Pic Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

-V6 didnt come out till 1995

-98-02 V6 accords have slightly weaker trannys

-its really your choice...... i4 has better gas mileage, while V6 has better acceleration after 35mph
Old 02-24-2006, 05:13 PM
texaskreek06

Default my thoughts

hey man, I got a 1993 accord last year and its been a dream! Its got 125K now, bought it at 121K, and running great, done minimal maintenance, which has been lots of fun learning. That is if you like working with cars... Mine is a I4 and automatic and to be honest its the fastest I4 I have ever driven.i drive it pretty hard and get about 23 mpg, which is fully in town driving. Fun to drive, affordable, good gas milage, and reliable. BTW, mine cost be a cool $2,500 last year (march). Spent no more then 300 in maintenance. good solid car. but those are just my thoughts...
Old 02-25-2006, 07:09 AM
accordcivic

jobrien: thanks for your feedback. You're right, that's exactly what I'm going to look for regardless of what year of vehicle.

FallenAngel: I was thinking of just taking the best overall vehicle and then it might be stick. But, I'm not sure how old the car will be. I'm looking at '90-'95 Accords. I don't think it'll be a newer one because I want to pay off some bills first.

Honura_kit: I'd prefer to buy a newer car but I better get a used car at this time. Perhaps, soon, down the road.

Jani: I like the extra *oomph* you get from V6s! ;-) I had a Ford V6 not too long ago (sold it) and the fuel economy was not much worse than the 4 cyl. Thanks for the info about the V6 Accords!

texaskreek: Thanks for your input! That gives me more ideas to work with. I'd like to get a newer Accord than just '90 or '91 so maybe I should consider '93-'95 Accords. If I can find any for under $3K here. Accords are pretty expensive in these parts. An early '90s Accord that's under 2 grand likely needs work.

All your comments are appreciated! If anyone has anything to add, that would be great! Also, yes, I would be working on my own car unless it's a serious repair (engine overall, tranny work etc.). At least, I'd try it before taking it to a garage.
Old 02-25-2006, 09:08 AM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

4th gen manual transmission...is about as good as it gets.