Notices

Upgrading engine

Old 12-31-2005, 10:52 PM
womentiger>thai

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading engine

Hey , everyone

I'm thinking about upgrading my engine for 2000 integra GSR . I've been looking at supercharger on the net and they all pricey! I can't seem to find good price on supercharger . Now I don't want turbo or NOS because they only give you power for a short period of time. If anyone had install supercharger in their cars. Please let me know how well the supercharger do compare to turbo . Pricewise and quality.
Old 01-01-2006, 12:59 AM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Superchargers suck; especially the offerings for our 4 cylinder cars. You either have the piece of crap JRSC or you have the overpriced and overrated Vortech supercharger.

I don't know where you are getting your info about a turbocharger giving power for only a short amount of time, but it is wrong. A properly sized turbocharger will give you decent gains in every part of the powerband and will spool quickly enough that you won't notice the lag.

I highly recommend you do a good amount of research into both of those options because if you want your engine to last, it will be more than a bolt on affair either method of forced induction you choose.
Old 01-01-2006, 06:27 AM
FooD2000
Still Water

I had a jrsc on my old car for only a limitied amount of time before my car got stolen. So for the 1 week i had it, I was actually dissapointed with my purchase.

If you think about it, you'll hear stories from people switching from supercharger to turbo but rarely do you hear about people going turbo and reverting to supercharger with our cars.
Old 01-01-2006, 12:06 PM
98tegra

I would go with a turbo.. you can pick up a decent kit for around 3,000 and they are designed for stock internals.. only pushing 7 psi will give you a very large increase in hp/tq.. you will also have unlimited upgrade options..
Old 01-01-2006, 12:59 PM
shirley
CBOTY 2010

i believe u have the wrong idea about superchargers and turbos. first thing a turbo does not just provide short power gain. as schmoo said a properly sized turbo for your goals can allow for hp increase across the entire powerband. a supercharger also has the same quality but with a supercharger u are already using up some of your excess power gains just to drive that supercharger as they are a belt drive system. also future upgrade options with a supercharger are near existent whereas a turbo setup allows for almost endless upgrade options. i would say go with a basic turbo kit such as the greddy and start with that.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:48 AM
Kilapine

keep this in mind a supercharger takes a littlebit of time to charge up and like someone else said your using and losing power to run it as compared to a turbo you got power boost straight no waiting
Old 01-04-2006, 01:50 AM
Kilapine

Default super chargers suck

superchargers are good for cars and trucks with bigger motors plus you have to wait for them to charge up as compared to turbo you get power boost straight no waiting
Old 01-04-2006, 03:24 AM
tegbooster
Resident Ninja-photo'er

^^ your an idiot... it's the other way around... if anything...the turbo takes time to spool up where as the s/c is always running at the speed of the engine...so the second you hit the throttle...your into boost... whereas turbos run on exhaust gasses... they take time to build up exhaust pressure within the system, so you hit the throttle (and depending on the size of the turbo) it will spool up...then boost comes...

and to the poster...
just listen to shmoo... kid knows what he's talking about, and just like he said... with a proper sized turbo and piping...anything is possible... consider your options ... and trust me ... you have a lot of research to do if you wanna do this right
turbo - :thumbup:

edit.... oops i said turbo ... meant s/c

Last edited by tegbooster; 01-05-2006 at 11:32 AM.
Old 01-04-2006, 09:38 AM
Provocateur
On permanent hiatus

Originally Posted by tegbooster
the turbo takes time to spool up where as the turbo is always running at the speed of the engine
Huh? :thinking:

:thumbup:
Old 01-04-2006, 04:16 PM
Patman015
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Däs Schmoo
Huh? :thinking:

:thumbup:
Man, im sure he meant turbos take time to "charge" while superchargers "run at the speed of the engine".