Notices

instrument cluster question!

Old 12-29-2005, 01:10 PM
quickness

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default instrument cluster question!

I am needing to replace the plastic cover of my instrument cluster. i have a 99 2dr honda accord ex v6. ive called several dealerships and they all say their systems only show being able to buy the entire cluster ($300) but some other similar models (the 4 dr) has a replaceable plastic cover ($60). would this piece work in my car? i know the cluster look similar but if i were to purchase that 4dr piece, could i try and get them to install it in my 2dr? they have said that the part # for the clusters are different but maybe the lens is interchangable? also could someone explain what clusters will work with others (98-02 models). i did talk to one honda dealership tech and i gave him my specs and he said i could replace just the lens but i called back and talked to a different tech and he said he didn't know if that would work. i didn't get the name of the tech either but he could have misheard my car specs. any insight on this would be very helpful as my cluster cover has several cracks and scratches and would really like to replace it without spending a fortune. ive been scouring ebay looking for clusters but not sure which would fit my car. thanks.
Old 12-29-2005, 06:21 PM
stereo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you are refering to the clear plastic part in front of the gauge cluster it's called the lens cover the part # is 78170-S84-A01 it's strange the EX V6 wouldn't have that part seperate but you can try the 4 door one .

Last edited by stereo; 12-29-2005 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-29-2005, 08:16 PM
semyonlibman

Have you tried junk yards?

Sam
Old 12-30-2005, 07:45 AM
quickness

so you are sure that the 4dr lens cover would work on my 2dr? i was asking the honda dealership and they kept saying they weren't sure so i just want to find out for sure that it will work and then buy that one.

also no i haven't tried junkyards but ive been on ebay looking at clusters but not sure which ones would fit my vehicle. i live in a pretty small town so im not even sure any junkyards around here would have my car. mostly fords and chevy's around here.
Old 12-30-2005, 09:51 AM
quickness

yeah i just called the dealership again and i think i understand how the parts are now. all the 4cyl clusters are the same and you can purchase the plastic lens separate on the 4cyl but NOT the 6cyl. i would have to buy a whole new cluster for the lens on the 6cyl. and the two lens are different. they are made by different people and are shaped different so it probably won't work. looks like im going to have to buy a used cluster off ebay or something and just take the lens off.
Old 12-30-2005, 07:46 PM
stereo

i'll take a look when i'm at the wrecking yard monday as theres plenty of gauge clusters there also on the Lx V6 you can get the plastic lense the only one that might be very diffrent is the 01 V6 coupe because it has the steel gray look with red needles was going to use that one instead of the 99 one but now i'm eyeing out the 7th gen one.
Old 12-30-2005, 08:58 PM
Roadrage
Deebo

Try ebay i know they have alot of them
Old 01-02-2006, 02:29 PM
quickness

thanks stereo, if you could find a like new lens for a v6 cluster, i would be so grateful. yeah i have noticed a lot of them on ebay but i was just unsure as to what will work with my car and now i know that basically any of the 98-02 that was 6cyl will work. the # of doors doesn't matter nor the trim. but the 4cyl and 6cyl clusters are different and won't work together. i do kind of like the steel grey look on some of the 01 coupe v6 clusters. and you can put a 7th gen in a 6th gen? that would be awesome cause i love the clusters on the new accords.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:11 AM
stereo

I looked at the 99 V6 cluster actually a few of them the diffrence it theres 2 torx screws holding the plastic on and the housing is shaped diffrent slightly but they all will plug in and work 4 or 6 cyl ones only problem is the V6 the speed will be off ,also 2 door and 4 door are diffrent as the door ajar indicator will have 2 extra doors on it ,and 98-99 are interchangeable 00-02 the temp gauge is controlled by the BCM and won't work right so if looking for the settl grey one it's 01-02 2 door EX V6 you would have to swap the circut board to make it work right and keep your mileage . if buying on ebay have them take a close up picture of the plastic as the V6 ones have the 2 torx screws in front bottom it's a 2 door Lx,Ex V6 only . the 7th gen will fit with very little fab work only major problems is electrical connections or lack of as all the gauges are feed from a databus direct from the ECU also the VSS has a diffrent pulse rate .