Notices

Transmission Problem

Old 11-07-2005, 12:01 PM
rampage918

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Problem

I had my car checked by a guy from Honda yesterday and he told me that my master bearing is going bad. What should be an estimated price that I should pay to get this repaired, and if there is any in the NYC area who knows a good person to do this please let me know.
Old 11-07-2005, 01:24 PM
honda guy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"Master bearing" Not sure what that really is. Maybe tou missunderstood what they were telling you.

Is it an auto or manual trans?
Old 11-07-2005, 01:26 PM
bambbrose

Not sure what a master bearing is... never heard of it to be honest, maybe different terminology over here, but anyways, if you have to tear into the transmission I would suggest just rebuilding the entire thing.

If you don't have the money for a complete rebuild, try to find a used one here on the forums, and then replace yours
Old 11-08-2005, 01:56 PM
rampage918

Well if I decide to change the tranny, should i get the same one a jdm lsd or do you suggest a different tranny.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:10 PM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

Double check with that mechanic and make sure he didn't mean "throwout bearing". It's the bearing that actuates the clutch, and it's controlled by the master and slave cylinder.

What's the problem with your transmission?? What's it doing?
Old 11-08-2005, 02:32 PM
onegreedy

Default whats up with the tranny

you need to get a second opinion , atleast give us an idea of whats going on and we can give you a few ideas its like if a doctor said you have a life threatening disease, you know you would get a second opinion

in my case a mechanic told me my car wasnt worh spending 500 bucks on becuse all the wires were messed up, (he wanted 500 bucks to diagnose an electrical problem) i told him to fly a kite and did it myself, by process of illimination i found out the ecu was fried by the old alternator and when it gets hot it shuts down after 120 bucks or a used ecu and a whole 2 wires under the dash that needed taped up car runs great and i am happy

moral check twice and do once,

could be main bearing if he said master bearing or also throw out bearing,

is it making a sound or what
Old 11-08-2005, 03:56 PM
jdmeg6hatchy
i

????? im confused
Old 11-08-2005, 09:42 PM
rampage918

Ok maybe it was main bearing. it can't be my throw bearing it was just changed with clutch. The guy told me when I pressed down on the clutch while he was under the hood he could hear something that meant the main bearing was bad. Also when I'm in a high rpm in second and switch to 3rd i feel a rubbing feeling.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:54 PM
Highmile
VX Hatch with 431,500!

Originally Posted by rampage918
Ok maybe it was main bearing. it can't be my throw bearing it was just changed with clutch. The guy told me when I pressed down on the clutch while he was under the hood he could hear something that meant the main bearing was bad. Also when I'm in a high rpm in second and switch to 3rd i feel a rubbing feeling.
It would be the opposite of that. When your foot is off the pedal and there is noise, that's probably the main. When the pedal is pressed, that is when the throw out bearing is in operation. There are a bunch of bearings in there though. Best thing you can do is take off the tranny and feel the pilot bearing, throw out, and turn the main shaft and see how that feels. It sounds like it needs to come off one way or the other.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:11 AM
Jafro
I'm made of meat!

Your transmission has input shaft bearings, output shaft bearings, and roller bearings. As far as I know, no manual transmission has a "main" bearing.

Just keep in mind that whether it's a bad transmission, or a bad throwout bearing... that it's EXACTLY the same amount of work to diaggnose or repair.
To a mechanic that spends every day fixing other people's crap, replacing a transmission is a much better paying job than replacing a $15 throwout bearing.

I've seen a rash of clutch problems mis-diagnosed as tranmission problems lately. If it makes a grinding, hissing, or squealing noise when you press the clutch in... new clutch bearings or not... it's probably the throwout bearing. Especially if there's nothing wrong with your fluids. Definitely get a second opinion.