Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Integra won't start after new clutch

Old 10-09-2005, 03:49 PM
Sense-A
Mentor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Integra won't start after new clutch

I just put a new clutch in my 92 acura integra manual transmission. Put everything back together. Not even one extra bolt. Everything back. I try starting my car and everything sounds right. Sometimes I can even get a pep out the muffler but not an official start. Why won't my car start now? The starter looks alright. Reaching through the hole where the starter goes I can see my flywheel. It is difficult to turn my flywheel with the clutch cable removed and the starter removed. While trying to force the car sometimes it seems the engine is shaking a bit. But all my mounts are in good I even replaced one of them.

My best guess Is my flywheel isn't turning easy enough. The starter tries and comes close but I may have tightened something too much. Or....I don't know. I'm stumped. I've done so much work just to get the new clutch in and now my car won't start. Pleeeeeaaase help I am desperate for ideas/advice at this point. I've been bumming rides for so long now.
Old 10-10-2005, 12:48 PM
Sense-A
Mentor

let me be specific. I removed my axles and my transmission. I installed a new pressure plate and clutch disc. Installed a new release bearing. No problems. Transmission slid back in perfect. torqued all the bolts (how important is it to torque bolts to specifics? Maybe I torqued pressure plate too much and flywheel is now harder to turn?). Refilled and put clutch cable back and so forth. Car sounds like it should when I attempt to start but it doesnt start. Seems like it comes very close sometimes, but never actually starts. I removed the starter and the starter gear teeth look good. My flywheel gear teeth were fine when I put my transmission back. Is there any way to double check if the gears are worn now? I mean to make the flywheel turn while I'm looking through the starter hole?

Only other problems I could think of is that I haven't started my car for 4 weeks now. The battery I keep charged. Gas level is low but should be enough. Never had starting problems before this new clutch installation. Spark plugs and wires fairly new. Didn't fiddle with anything else while I put this clutch in. Never messed with the starter/clutch interlock switch or anything....hmmm I just can't figure it out.

Perhaps I might have to pull the transmission again to double check everything. But what a pain!!
Old 10-10-2005, 12:51 PM
teg92
WHAT OK YEAH!

have you checked your grounds? Check your fuses and make sure there not blown. Also did you get your flywheel resurfaced?
Old 10-10-2005, 01:03 PM
Sense-A
Mentor

no I didn't resurface my flywheel even though everyone recommended I do so. The surface looked fine to me though. No scratches or so forth. I also suspected a bad ground because my stereo was making a thumping noise. That noise went away though. The only ground I disconnected was from the alternator to a bracket on top the transmission. But I had put it back.

Still, reaching through the starter hole how easy should it be to turn the flywheel? Is there any other way to make the flywheel spin while I'm looking at it through this hole?

I'm going back to the garage to work on it. But I will worship anyone who gives me correct advice/answer to why my car isn't starting.
Old 10-10-2005, 01:35 PM
teg92
WHAT OK YEAH!

Did you check the fuses
Old 10-10-2005, 04:42 PM
Sense-A
Mentor

Okay. After looking thru the starter hole and checking the flywheel and starter gears for damage I said F-it and just put everything back together. Tried starting it the first time and it was very very close to starting but no. Then I felt confident, tried it one more time and applied gas as soon as I thought it may have started. It made a groan but then it started and now its running fine. A little bit of rattling in 1st 4th and reverse gears but that went away after about 5 miles driving.

Possible causes why I had trouble starting it for an entire week: Starter wasn't sitting in there perfect. Ground wire was soaked with transmission fluid. Car had been sitting for a month getting overhauled and just didn't feel like waking up. Fuel level was low and maybe not ideally clean and fresh.

Well I successfully did a clutch change thanks to this forum. Although it took me pathetically long I saved some money and the sense of self satisfaction is the best part. I feel like theres nothing I can't fix on my car except maybe a fuel pump or F-ing around with the gas tank...But hell I could swap a honda engine i feel like.

If anyone's like me they get depressed when their car starts dying. I mean I've had this car since highschool and put 120,000 miles on it. It almost has 200,000 now. I've made it last through so much. Its great on gas through this fuel crisis and I've run from cops in it and got away. I've hit rabbits possums deer and even cows in it and have nearly hit people and even tried to hit people. I've driven it through a fence on a stormy winter night. I've slept in it many times. I lived in it for a week. I've snuck into and out the impound to get it back. I've spilled countless beers in it and drank many fixing it. I've scavenged through west virginia junk yards looking for parts for it. Its sentimental to me. When it dies I will try to ressurect it. It can live forever
Old 10-10-2005, 04:44 PM
teg92
WHAT OK YEAH!

Good to hear everything worked out :goodjob: