Notices

FAQ: Accord 4th Gen 90-93 DTCs

Old 09-22-2005, 11:07 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FAQ: Accord 4th Gen 90-93 DTCs

This thread will list the DTCs (diagnostic trouble codes) with a brief description of it. To receive a more in depth explanation of the code and/or troubleshooting methods, please search the forum for that code or ask in my TSB/tech question thread.

I HAVE A CHECK ENGINE LIGHT, ABS SRS LIGHT; HOW DO I FIND OUT THE TROUBLE CODE? For non-OBDII 4th gens, you'll have to bring the car to Honda or follow the following procedure:

Reading Check Engine Codes
Courtesy of Me

EXTRACTING FAULT CODES:

If the "CHECK" engine light has been reported on, you can extract the fault codes as follows:

1) Turn the ignition on.
2) Pull down the passenger side carpet from under the dashboard to access the ECU.
3) Observe the LED on top of the ECU.

4) The LED indicates a fault code by the blinking frequency. The LED can indicate multiple fault codes by blinking separate codes one after another.
Fault codes 1 through 9 are indicated by individual short blinks.
Fault codes 10 through 43 are indicated by a series of long and short blinks. One long blink equals ten short blinks.
Add the long and short blinks together to determine the fault code.

5) By connecting the two terminals of the check connector (located on passenger side under dashboard) with a jumper wire, the "CHECK" engine light will flash the same fault code(s) as the ECU LED. Don't forget to remove the jumper wire when you are done extracting the fault code(s).
6) Note the fault code(s).

Reading Transmission Codes

Displaying and Reading Trouble Codes

TROUBLESHOOTING PROCEDURES

D4 Indicator Light And Transaxle Control Module (TCM) Locations

When the A/T control unit senses an abnormality in the input or output Systems, the S indicator light in the gauge assembly will blink at equal intervals and the LED display on the A/T control unit will blink a problem code when the ignition key is turned on. However, when the Service Check Connector (located to the lower right of the glove compartment) is shorted with a jumper wire, the S indicator light will also blink the problem code when the ignition switch is turned on.

When the S indicator light has been reported on, short the two terminals of the Service Check Connector together or pull the passenger's side carpet down from under the dashboard. Then turn on the ignition switch and observe either the S indicator light or the A/T control unit LED display.

Problem codes 1 through 9 are indicated by individual short blinks, Problem codes 10 through 15 are indicated by a series of long and short blinks. One long blink equals 10 short blinks. Add the long and short blinks together to determine the problem code. After determining the problem code, refer to the electrical system Diagnosis By Symptom / Symptom-to-Component Chart . See: Testing and Inspection

Some PGM-FI problems will also make the S indicator light come on. After repairing the PGM-FI system, disconnect the Back Up fuse (7.5 A) in the under-hood relay box for more than 10 seconds to reset the A/T control unit memory.

TROUBLESHOOTING MULTIPLE INDICATOR LIGHTS

The ABS/TCS and ATTS control units communicate with the ECM/PCM. If a DTC causes a loss of communication between two or more of these control units, the loss can cause multiple indicator lights to come on. For instance, when the ABS/TCS control unit stops getting data from the ECM/PCM, it sets a communication DTC such as TCS DTC 31 [engine retard command (PFINH) signal]. This DTC doesn't mean there's a circuit or control unit failure. It just means the flow of data between the ABS/TCS control unit and the ECM/PCM has stopped. If you troubleshoot the PGM-FI system or the ABS/TCS first, and clear the DTCs, you'll most likely fix the problem.

As a general rule, troubleshoot DTCs that aren't related to communication first.

For example, if DTC P1676 (FPTDR signal line failure) is set, and the ABS/TCS control unit has set a TCS DTC 24 thru 27 (TCS solenoid), troubleshoot the TCS DTC problem first.

A second example: If the ECM/PCM sets a DTC P1498 (EGR valve position sensor circuit voltage high), and the ABS/TCS control unit sets a TCS DTC 31, you need to troubleshoot the DTC P1498 problem first.

Accord 90-93 DTC Codes

Engine Codes

Resetting Engine Codes

TO CLEAR FAULT CODES FROM THE ECU

1) Turn the ignition switch OFF.
2) Remove the Back Up fuse Fuse #24, 7.5A from the main (underhood) fuse box.
3) Wait 10 seconds for the ECU to clear it`s memory, and reinstall the Back Up (7.5A) fuse.

Transmission Codes

Old 09-22-2005, 11:53 AM
meredithf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, thanks so much for that info!!!
Old 09-22-2005, 12:10 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by meredithf
wow, thanks so much for that info!!!
Thanks for the appreciation

Oh, if anyone gets any of these codes please post them in here.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:37 PM
meredithf

i followed the procedures above for obtaining the DTCs and also clearing them. i was thinking it was going to be very confusing, like watching morse code, but it was really simple (as long as you can see and can count!) and i got it on the first try, and cleared it just as easily.

the problem i had was my speedo dropped to zero this morning, then my check engine light came on, then i noticed extremely low idle (which may not be related to the other 2 symptoms). the car shop nearby didnt have the diag tools to obtain the DTC for why the check engine light came one so they were no help in this case.
(issue was originally discussed here: https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/s...d.php?t=206312)

anyhow, it turned out to be Engine Code 17 = VSS as 98CoupeV6 was sure of in the first place =)

just glad to know what the problem is and this info was key in me finding out
Old 09-23-2005, 05:38 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by R1jamn
I got my 90 accord out of the shop today.
The left and right CV axles where replaced and the parking brake was adjusted. Also resealed the rocker assembly.

I drove it home from the shop and everything was ok.

Jumped in it and started it up to go to work later in the day and the check engine light came on.

I checked the ECU Codes myself and it is giving the following codes.

Code 15 = Ignition Output Signal

Code 41 = Oxygen Sensor Heater (O2 Sensor)

I find it just a little suspicious that these codes come up just after getting the car out of the shop.

I'll check for a bad fuse for the Fault Code 41

What is "Ignition Output Signal" fault code 15 all about? What should I be checking and where?
Code 15:

Code 41:

Old 09-23-2005, 08:42 AM
wedley2
bboy Wesley West

thanks for remembering us 4th genners!
Old 10-13-2005, 09:54 AM
RotorBalls

This thread kicks ass! Should definately be archived

I have a 91 that get a check engine light from time to time. If I put the key in the # II position and wait for the check engine light to turn off it will normally stay off. If I put the key in and start it up right away it will turn on sometimes and other times it wont. Next time I get the light I'll be sure to check under the rug for blinking lights.

Also I've tried to reset the green maint req light by using the trip meter and key trick but it stays green. Does green mean good to go? Just bought the accord a month or so ago so yes I'm a noob h:
Old 10-13-2005, 05:52 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by RotorBalls
This thread kicks ass! Should definately be archived

I have a 91 that get a check engine light from time to time. If I put the key in the # II position and wait for the check engine light to turn off it will normally stay off. If I put the key in and start it up right away it will turn on sometimes and other times it wont. Next time I get the light I'll be sure to check under the rug for blinking lights.

Also I've tried to reset the green maint req light by using the trip meter and key trick but it stays green. Does green mean good to go? Just bought the accord a month or so ago so yes I'm a noob h:
Thanks I believe it's in the FAQ.

The maint req'd light reset instructions have to be around here or in the owner's manual, you should definetly be able to turn it off.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:39 PM
RotorBalls

Yeah no owners manual with the car so I was searching the forums for the reset procedures. I tried the trick for the new gen cars a couple different ways with no luck. Would still like to know why the check engine light comes on. Seems like now that I know how to figure out what it is it never wants to come on now
Old 12-04-2005, 01:25 PM
OHS
Banned

Default Transmission codes page not found.

Hello,

After some time now back with a newer, more modern and secure PC. No more people logging on as me.

I am looking for transmission DTC's. The links in here must be outdated because it says the info is no longer available.

Working on 1992 Accord with multiple trans DTCs as follows:

Code 1
Code 2
Code 3
Code 5
Code 7
Code 8
Code 14

Can anyone advise on what these DTCs are or at least maybe post a link to where I can find them?

Thank you