Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

throttle body needs replacing

Old 09-05-2005, 06:51 AM
sgb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttle body needs replacing

Hi! I have a question. I have a 2000 odessey which had a timing belt service, etc - big service - nothing was wrong with the car, just routine maintenance. Within about a week of leaving the shop I had surging at lights/stop signs - and within a day the check engine light came on. Honda says I need a throttle body. It's expensive - $850.00. Is there a correlation to the EGC system or timing belt service, ??? I really don't know cars - don't laugh.

This is the second time this year I have taken my car - working fine - for routine maintenance and have left with the engine light on. In January they said something was clogged - (not due to them) - but since I drove it in without the engine light on - and it immediately had it on exiting the shop they fixed it for free. It may be coincidence - but it's a little odd.

Any thoughts from someone mechanically minded? What's a throttle body??

Thanks!
Old 09-05-2005, 07:37 AM
qtiger

A throttle body regulates the air that enters your engine. When you push on the gas pedal, it pulls on a cable which opens up the throttle plate. If you're curious I can post some pictures.

I cannot conceieve of any reason why you would require a whole new throttle body. Call the dealer and ask them precisely why you need a new one, take notes and then post it here.
Old 09-05-2005, 04:09 PM
b16ahybrid

Originally Posted by qtiger
A throttle body regulates the air that enters your engine. When you push on the gas pedal, it pulls on a cable which opens up the throttle plate. If you're curious I can post some pictures.

I cannot conceieve of any reason why you would require a whole new throttle body. Call the dealer and ask them precisely why you need a new one, take notes and then post it here.
Exactly.
If anything maybe you need a new sensor or gasket.
The Throttle body will not throw a code it'self, a sensor on it will though.
Find out what the code is and post that up also.
Old 09-05-2005, 06:01 PM
qtiger

I'm guessing it's the throttle position sensor, which if you follow the service manual, requires a replacement TB.
Old 09-07-2005, 03:07 AM
sgb

Default I spoke with Honda

I spoke with Honda - they said the throttle body was not opening and closing when it is supposed to.

code P1129 - map sensor
and the other problem was the pressure switch for the transmission.

They told me that this problem meant a new throttle body - any ideas from anyone? Could this have been caused at all by a service visit? Just very strange it happened when I left the garage. Could be coincidence - but very odd.

Thanks!
Old 09-07-2005, 05:17 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sgb
I spoke with Honda - they said the throttle body was not opening and closing when it is supposed to.

code P1129 - map sensor
and the other problem was the pressure switch for the transmission.

They told me that this problem meant a new throttle body - any ideas from anyone? Could this have been caused at all by a service visit? Just very strange it happened when I left the garage. Could be coincidence - but very odd.

Thanks!
The MAP sensor detects the pressure in your intake manifold and converts it into an electrical code that the engine's PCM or ECM can read.

It costs $53 to replace and can be done in about 10 minutes.

It's the thing on the top of the throttle body. The Honda dealer is trying to dick you over, do this work yourself, unplug the battery, and see if the light is still on. If it is, go to autozone and get it read - you're paying the dealership $60 to "diagnose" a problem that we can do for free.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:17 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh, here's the DTC if you're interested.

DTC P1129: MAP Higher Than Expected

1) Start the engine. Hold the engine at 3,000 rpm with no load (in Park or neutral) until the radiator fan comes on, then let it idle.
2) Check the MAP with the scan tool. Is 43.3 kPa (325 mmHg, 12.8 in.Hg) or less indicated? YES - Intermittent failure, system is OK at this time. NO - Replace the MAP sensor.

The Pressure switch is about the same price and also requires 15 minutes of work. There are two, 2nd clutch and 3rd clutch (Honda automatics have seperate clutch packs for each gear. Very unique and delicate.):

2nd Clutch Pressure Switch Replacement

Disconnect the connector from the 2nd clutch pressure switch 20 Nm (2.0 kgf-m. 14 ft. lbs.)
Replace the 2nd clutch pressure switch, then install a new one with a new sealing washer. Tighten the switch on the metal part, not the plastic part.
Reconnect the connector, making sure there is no water, oil, dust, or other foreign particles inside it.

3rd Clutch Pressure Switch Replacement

Disconnect the connector from the 3rd clutch pressure switch.
Replace the 3rd clutch pressure switch, then install a new one with a new sealing washer. Tighten the switch on the metal part, not the plastic part.
Reconnect the connector, making sure there is no water, oil, dust, or other foreign particles inside it.