Notices

Freeze-12 experience, anyone?

Old 06-09-2005, 12:03 AM
tegdude7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freeze-12 experience, anyone?

Compressor in my Integra bombed couple-a-years ago, possible just the clutch, but have used, intact compressor/clutch to replace old one. Considering OEM desirables like R-12(expensive), and R134a(doesn't cool well), I've seen a great deal of positive comments on the Freeze-12 as a "drop in" replacement, where no compressor oil change is necessary, and conversion cost would be less than to go-to R134a. Also heard that even if conversion fittings and new O-rings would be recommended for the Freeze-12, it would cool MUCH better than R134a. Anyone have direct experience with this dilemma? I've heard some just "top off" their existing R-12 system, although I'll be flushing/pulling vacuum at least after replacing compressor/clutch assy., so I can't do that. Otherwise, I may be in position to replace clutch w/o opening lines, and then could just "top off" w/Freeze-12. Can you feel my pain, any advice for a newbie out there? My car's a 92 Teg RS, in great phys/mech shape, except it's hot as *!#$
Old 06-09-2005, 10:40 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

:cheers: Welcome to the board.

Before spending money on refrigerant, I'd make sure that:
1) The compressor itself is still functional.
2) That all the lines and seals are good.

Once the system is in good mechanical shape, then I'd say go ahead and use the R12 substitute. There's little point in spending hundreds of dollars to convert to R134 on an older car, unless you're going to keep it for another 8 to 10 years.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 06-09-2005, 09:59 PM
tegdude7

Thanks OD But how would I verify "working compressor", and "good lines" w/o adding refrigerant? Would 1 can be enough to test, after my clutch replacement, then vacuum, change o-rings, re-oil, and add full charge if system seems to work w/o leaks? Maybe after replacing clutch and belt, if that's all needed to run system, it will work even if only a little, then I would know it's ok to convert to whatever....I guess. All I know, is that I took it to a locally recommended repair facility and they wanted like, $900 to overhaul, replace compressor, fix etc., w/o even so much as touching any part of my system, so I want to avoid "the pros" unless absolutely necessary. Of course I may need them to vac/flush system, but other than that, I can and want to do it. I've read so much about being able to do so, and I've done harder jobs on past auto's.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:22 PM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by tegdude7
Thanks OD But how would I verify "working compressor", and "good lines" w/o adding refrigerant? Would 1 can be enough to test, after my clutch replacement, then vacuum, change o-rings, re-oil, and add full charge if system seems to work w/o leaks? Maybe after replacing clutch and belt, if that's all needed to run system, it will work even if only a little, then I would know it's ok to convert to whatever....I guess. All I know, is that I took it to a locally recommended repair facility and they wanted like, $900 to overhaul, replace compressor, fix etc., w/o even so much as touching any part of my system, so I want to avoid "the pros" unless absolutely necessary. Of course I may need them to vac/flush system, but other than that, I can and want to do it. I've read so much about being able to do so, and I've done harder jobs on past auto's.
Well, how long has the system been "dead"? h:

You've got a good plan, IMO.
I say go ahead and replace the clutch and drive belt and at least see if the AC compressor works. If the compressor has seized, then repair/replace it as you see fit.

Hopefully, all you'll need is the clutch, belt and refrigerant.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 06-10-2005, 01:11 AM
tegdude7

Atswhatimsayin....tu
Old 06-10-2005, 09:20 PM
95tegRS

i took my car to a AC shop, they filled my system with liquid nitrogen to check for leaks. My leak is either very small, or the bozo that filled it last year didnt fill it enough and the R134a ran out within 6 months.

as for your R12 compressor, Most AC shops have fabricated adaptors so that you can fill r12 system with R134a. i dont know about where u live, but R134a is good enough for me.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:05 PM
tegdude7

I'm in Norman, Oklahoma and it gets nasty hot and humid here, sometimes reminding me of Houston where I grew up and bought the car. I've heard how some ppl are satified completely with the R134a, including my father-in-law 1 hour South of me. I think some systems work better than others, as do some conversions. I just think I'd be happier, and spend less to convert to the Freeze-12 or EnviroSafe R12a. Well see. I just completed replacement of my old burned out compressor clutch w/very nice used one, and have compressor left over from purchased one to beat. System seems in great shape, and when I get belt on, I could be in business, we'll see!
Old 06-29-2005, 11:55 PM
tegdude7

:irock: IMPORTANT UPDATE: After finishing my A/C repairs, I too can now allow ppl to ride in my car without that ever-pestering, " JESUS dude, how do you stand it drivin' around like this?" After deciding on, ordering, and putting in the EnviroSafe ES-12a, my little 92 beautay! is blowin' COLD! I chose the ES-12a (from autorefrigerants.com) because of the larger molecules, and the fact that (they answered my e-mail question) and I didn't need to change anything, or prep anything, to recharge system to optimal performance. Same empty R-12 system, same O-rings, same R-12 fittings, 2 cans of 5 oz. each recharge, equal to 30 oz. of R-12....I tried, but was having trouble jumping clutch to test, but 2 sec. after 1st can started in, compressor kicked on, and system was cool. After 2nd can in, I think this trip is over. I'm curious, so may get accurate temp reading at vents, but it hurts my fingers on lowest fan speed in less than 15 sec., and ambient air temp is almost 80. This after hoping and finding on my own that only the clutch was out, but not the compressor itself. So I didn't pay for the almost $1000.00 quote to fix! This site and others were more than just instrumental in helping me find the parts, and do the repairs myself....to me they were necessary reading.

Not just that there were plenty of obviously knowledgeable mechanics who's opinions I'd either received personally or read on other posts, but that I got that sense of trust which is the essence of what makes advice good at all.

That, and my Helm's CD, and it was ALL GOOD! I really lucked out that there wasn't more wrong with my system, I know that. But I only spent $45 shipped for the compressor w/clutch, so by using only the clutch, I now have compressor if necessary in the future. Then I didn't have to open up the system. Always good if not needed. Then spending $39.95+shipping for the stock R-12 EnviroSafe Kit w/the ES-12a, and 5 more min. of work, I have what for now is an exceptional climate control system again! It's silly, but I feel like I have a new toy! Oh well, it'll fade....but I'll be freezin' my butt off when it does!
Old 06-30-2005, 07:35 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Congratulations on the repair!
If frostbite is a risk, then I think the AC is working fine. :chuckles:

Old 06-30-2005, 09:03 AM
tegdude7

Thanks for all your help, OD!