Notices

99-00 civic cluster install into your crx (pics)

Old 08-10-2004, 04:06 PM
XJamesX
also B18C5crx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 99-00 civic cluster install into your crx (pics)

Some of you may have seen this write up on a few other boards. I am B18C5crx on alot of other boards, I just recently found my way here so I thought I would share this how to with you guys. Enjoy

Well here is a write up on how to install a 99-00 civic Si cluster in your EF. I installed it in my 91 CRX si. All the wiring is done for a 90-91 Crx. The wiring is the same for 90-91 civic hatches. The fitment may be a little different in hatches but should work.

OK 88-89 wiring is added. The wire colors are the same but the pin placements are different. I added clip pictures and a chart for the 88-89 crx/civics. Another thing you will have to change is the dimmer switch clip for the 90-91 cluster hood. Just swap the 88-89 clip with the 90-91 clip. The wire colors are the same so just match up the wires and it will work

Here is a list of things needed to comlete the swap.

Tools:

10mm socket ( to unbolt speedo)
philips head screw driver
wire cutters
soldering iron
electrical tape

Items needed:

96-00 Civic cluster Si, EX, DX, HX whichever you want to use. I chose the Si because it looks cool.
Cluster clips that plug into the civic cluster. With some wire attached the more the better
Any electronic speedo from 92 and up civic or 94 and up integra.
Clip that plugs ontop of the speedo also with some wire

The only things needed to be modified to fit the cluster into the dash where the metal tabs inside the cluster bowl. Just unscrew them and there is plenty of room. As far as bolting it down it is in pretty tight and takes some shifting to get the cover over the cluster but when it is in it is tight. I have been driving the car for a few weeks now and it didn't vibrate or shift in any way. If you wanted to screw it in you could drill some holes into the roof of the gauge cover and put screws through it into the tabs on the civic clusterbut it isnt nessacary.

Here is the wiring. The blue clips are for the civic and the grey are the crx. You need to wire in the blue clips in place of the grey ones. The red X's mean the wire isnt used. 11 of the 17 wires match up in color and have the same function. Look at the last chart and you will see what I mean.

88-89 clips

90-91 wiring color chart

88-89 wiring color chart

VSS installation:

Pull the cover up over the cable on the VSS then push the retaining clip off of the cable and pull the cable out of the Vss. Then take the 10mm socket and your rachet and unbolt the cable driven Vss from the tranny. I also used 3/8 15" extension and a swivel head to get the 10mm bolt out.

Here is the cable driven Vss from my crx (note I have a b16 and your cable Vss may look different.

This is a pic of a 99 civic Vss I stole from my sisters car for picture purposes. This Vss will work fine.

here is a pic of the VSS I used. The black part is from a 99 integra and the bottom part is from a 92 civic Si. These 2 parts work fine together. I ordered the metal piece from honda for $39 and the black piece used for $35. I stole the gear out of my sisters civic and it works with the teg/civic combo Vss I used. I also ordered new Oring seals for the VSS just to be on the safe side. Those where about $5 total.

This is the connector you will need that plugs onto the electronic Vss. I didn't have one So I just plugged wires directly onto the VSS and sealed them up.

Next just slip the electronic VSS into the tranny and bolt up with the 10mm bolt. Now here is the wiring, I don't have pics of the prosses but it is easy to understand. There are 3 wires coming out of the VSS plug. Power, signal and ground. The power wire you have to run to a switched power source, pin B4 and A15 on the civic clips will work fine. The ground wire you just have to ground, splice it into an exsisting ground or create a new one either will work. The signal wire has to be split into 2. Run one signal into the back of the cluster in pin A11, The other into Pin B16 on the ECU. You split the signal because both the cluster and Ecu need the Vehicle speed signal.

Here are some pics of it installed and working. Sorry the night pic didnt come out very well but you get the idea.

If you have any questions about this swap just ask I will help out ina ny way possible. Also I dont take any responsibility for any damages that maybe caused by this swap.

You can also use a CRV cluster instead of the civic one if yo uwould like to. The wiring is the same and the civic clips pop right into the CRV cluster.

-James-
Old 06-16-2005, 12:18 PM
KennyB004

does this also work with a 96-00 civic ex cluster n a 91 civic hatch as well? please let me know. id really appreciate it.
Old 06-16-2005, 12:55 PM
shady visions

Wow, thanks. This is exactly what I was looking forward to putting in my CRX. This will work with the B16a SiR1 engine right?
Old 06-16-2005, 03:46 PM
PikkaGTR
Power of Dreams

wow thats a pretty nice custom pice
:thumbup:
Old 06-17-2005, 11:10 AM
mistacee
Zc powered ED9

Originally Posted by KennyB004
does this also work with a 96-00 civic ex cluster n a 91 civic hatch as well? please let me know. id really appreciate it.
Common sense would say yes,since you are doing essentially the same swap.
Old 06-17-2005, 11:23 AM
madman4you

good thread im hoping to do the same.
Old 06-17-2005, 01:02 PM
KennyB004

Originally Posted by mistacee
Common sense would say yes,since you are doing essentially the same swap.
yes but thats not necesarily true. there is a big differece n wiring with the 88-91 civic/crx n i dont know what other cars, so it could b different wiring altogether. that is y i asked.
Old 06-19-2005, 08:17 AM
BONE

Looks good man
Old 06-26-2005, 09:55 PM
confucioussae

can you install a CRV cluster into a 99-00 civic- plug and play style?