Notices

'05 Accord V6 vs. Mazda 6s?

Old 07-30-2004, 03:02 PM
cwa107

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '05 Accord V6 vs. Mazda 6s?

OK, so my lease is up on my 02 Accord EX in a few more months and I'm starting to eye up some of the more recent cars out there that have caught my eye. And...uh, I'm actually going to buy this time, so that I can actually do something with my car without getting my wallet slapped.

I've been looking at the Mazda 6s (V6), I've owned previous rebadged Mazdas (i.e. Ford Probes) and found them to be fairly reliable. I'm not too keen on the looks of the 7th gen Accord, but the 240hp V6 is tempting. Sounds like the Mazda has a stiffer suspension and is more sporting than the Accord + I like the look of it better. The price is right too - about $26k with all the goodies.

If you were to choose between the two, what would you go with? Just out of curiousity.

I'm also considering the Acura TSX - which is a bit pricer than I was looking to go, but still a consideration. Although I'm not sure that I want another 4-cylinder. I'm really more interested with something that has a little more torque.

Thoughts? Opinions? Anyone ever had occasion to mod or work on one?

EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to mention, I have a kid, so 2 doors are out of the question, otherwise we'd be talking '05 Mustang GT
Old 07-30-2004, 03:20 PM
kenton
Change sig? Lose [quote]!

What about a WRX? IMO, they don't look too sporty, though.
Old 07-30-2004, 03:29 PM
cwa107

Originally Posted by kenton
What about a WRX? IMO, they don't look too sporty, though.
I've heard they have reliability problems and aren't too sturdy. Plus the thought of having to replace a turbo makes me wonder how much all that power is going to cost me in the long run. But I have considered it - I'm not all that thrilled with the look either.
Old 07-30-2004, 03:37 PM
kenton

Originally Posted by cwa107
I've heard they have reliability problems and aren't too sturdy. Plus the thought of having to replace a turbo makes me wonder how much all that power is going to cost me in the long run. But I have considered it - I'm not all that thrilled with the look either.
Yeah. I seem to remember several cases on some other fourms I read about the 5MT failing a lot. Owners who've babied their cars are blowing out gears, dealer finds metal shavings in the box and calls it abuse, etc. I dunno why I didn't remember that at the time.
Old 07-30-2004, 03:39 PM
EVO VIII
Imports over Domestic

I would go with the Mazda 6, I dont care for the looks of the Honda Accord ( the new one any way, I like the 4 and 5th gen accords the best). Accord has the Mazda in the hp department, but can you get a stick in a v6 accord? You can in the Mazda. Handling I would hand to the 6. The aftermarket for the 6 is getting to be better and better. Mazda has been stepping up their game ie the Mazdaspeed Protege ( which I own, 4 sale though, because I bought my EVO), The sporty Mazda 6, Mazda 3 has turned out to be very popular. The Rx-8 is good, and the upcomming Mazdaspeed 6 ( twin turbo, AWD, 270+ hp). Im telling you Mazda is a company to be watched. Oh one of the only things that I dont like about the Mazda 6 is the fact that the v6 they offer is a Ford Duratec motor, the 4 cylindar is a Mazda motor ( which is the one that they are putting the twin turbo on). So again Mazda 6 is what I would go with.
Old 07-30-2004, 04:53 PM
phoenixitc

You might also consider the Nissan Altima 3.5 SE. The 2005 has an improved interior that supposedly takes care of the interior subpar quality parts. The engine is supposed to be upped to 250HP.
Old 07-30-2004, 05:16 PM
kenton

You can get a V6 Accord 6MT. It's rated at 240hp with 87-91octane and 250hp with anything higher.

Yeah, I've ridden in an Altima, and if I had to pick Accord sedan vs Altima, I'd get the Altima, just wish it didn't have Altezza lights.
Old 07-30-2004, 05:20 PM
ODUB
Banned

i'd go with the accord 6speed all day long...it's quicker than the altima, handles better, and the interior is wayyyy better....
Old 07-30-2004, 05:30 PM
AtlAccord
Banned

Do some of you even bother to read the original post in a thread before just blindly posting away?

Originally Posted by cwa107
EDIT: Oh, and I forgot to mention, I have a kid, so 2 doors are out of the question, otherwise we'd be talking '05 Mustang GT
Unless Honda has added a new model to their line that I'm not aware of, the 6-speed manual is NOT offered in the Accord sedan. Put down the bongs and try to focus for just a few seconds...
Old 07-30-2004, 05:33 PM
jschmid

Seems everyone ignores the fact that he wants 4 doors haha. I'd say that if you want a manual, the decision is made...Mazda 6. If you want an auto, just go test drive both and see which one you like better (I'm assuming you haven't already).

The WRX looks more "sporty" than an Accord sedan imo haha. I don't mind the looks of the new Accord sedan except for the rear, the tail lights and trunk seem messed up to me.

The Accord >>> Altima.