Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

A few issues with my beater 1990 civic hatch. help me out.

Old 07-23-2004, 04:32 PM
Can't Catch Me
Custom User Title:

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few issues with my beater 1990 civic hatch. help me out.

I picked up a 1990 Honda Civic Hatchback the other day. 179K miles, 4-speed manual. Paid $350 for it. It runs and drives alright, but not as good as I'd want it to run. Here's the deal:

1) Black smoke out the tailpipe. I did a compression test and it's kinda all over the place. Worst cylinder is #4 (right-most cylinder). It showed barely 30psi on the compression guage. I poured in a little bit of oil into the cylinder and tested again, and no difference. So is it the valves? How would I go about fixing this?

2) Transmission is VERY stiff. Takes a good amount of effort to put it into first and second (clutch depressed all the way down). Also, there's a metallic clanging sound when I hit about mid-rpm in first gear. Similar sound when it's just idling in neutral with clutch not pressed. I wanted to change out the transmission fluid but I have no experience with manual transmission so I have no idea where to begin with that one. What else could I do to fix the transmission problems?

Other than those things, it's an alright car. I changed the oil, oil filter, air filter, and spark plugs today and it's running a little better. Although the oil pan drain bolt is leaking.

Help a brother out. Thanks in advance.