Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

help with motor advice , im clueless

Old 07-15-2004, 09:41 PM
1hot4door

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with motor advice , im clueless

ok heres the thing , my i have a 94 civic lx right now , all show,frost white honda civic , full body kit , 17 inch wheels , apc spoon fenders , m3 LED mirrors, shaved trunk lock , shaved rear civic badge , fiber images carbon fiber hood , sparco hood pins , eibach 2 inch lowering springs ,obx r steering wheel , autometer gauges , carbon fiber gauge cups , sparco racing 3 point harness , interior all re colored from beige to black , striped trunk and rear seat (for weight saving purposes)..im just starting to get serious about the motor , my stock non vtec motor is shot , i odnt have the cash now 4 a b16 , so im settling for a sohc vtec motor , ive seen and heard of some sick and quick set-ups 4 these motors...i was thinkin all motor with somthing like....skunk 2 racing valve springs , skunk 2 racing valves , skunk 2 titanium retainers, skunk2 adj cam gear, either skunk2 or crower camshaft witchever is cheaper , jdm honda oem pistons and rings , rod bolts ,apr head studs, stronger head gasket, msd bl;aster coil and distributor cap and wires , plugs , possibly a multiangle valve job , but was told to just keep internals stock and upgrade ignition and fuel system and do a turbo but have now idea what size turbo or anything , i really need some help here guys , this is my first day on this forum ,,,,so what im asking is is the all motor set up worth it and how much hp would i get ? should i do turbo and if so what engine work should i do (internally and with the turb kit) and what hp would i b lookin at there possibly somthing like this http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=907670&page=1? im lookin 4 all opinions on this subject i need then desperately , o and btw what hp does that motor have stock ,i know its bad but just curious...thanks a lot guys...
Old 07-15-2004, 09:44 PM
1hot4door

by the way i azlreade have my exhaust and cat , finished ...high flow racing cat feed a greddy evo1 ...please help me out guys im kinda in a hurry...
Old 07-16-2004, 04:15 PM
1hot4door

c'mon guys , at least give opinions on either all motor or turbo
Old 07-17-2004, 12:52 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

building up an all-motor D-series would be expensive and not very fruitful... (I doubt you'd make more than 20 or 30hp in a streetable setup).

A stock d16z6 is a good candidate for turbo though... completely internally stock and well tuned, they can make upwards of 200whp (although something in the 150-170 range is more common).

Regardless of your goals, turbo is the right route with a sohc motor... now how much power you want to make determines whether or not its in your interest to build. IMO, building a d-series for turbo costs too much to justify... for what you spend, you might as well be working with a b-series.
Old 07-17-2004, 01:05 PM
1hot4door

ok thanks man i do have one more question though , on stock internals how much boost could i run and with what internal mods oculd i push more boost at
Old 07-17-2004, 01:09 PM
1hot4door

Default another question sorry guys

would an externally wastegated t3/t4 or t25 be to big or if i wastegated it down to like between 5-9 would i b ok , also dont laugh at me for this but how does the turbo and manifold connect to the rest of exhaust , if anyone has a pic that would be great
Old 07-17-2004, 01:10 PM
1hot4door

o and is a apexi vtec controller worth it
Old 07-17-2004, 01:25 PM
1hot4door

o and for a turbo set up would i only need to upgrade ignition and fuel system , i was told that i could just get away with plugs and wires and an fmu and possibly a fuel pump is that correct if not please correct me i wanna do this right , i only plan to run somewhere between 5 and 8 but if i wanna run more what internal stuiff would i need to do
Old 07-17-2004, 01:28 PM
white_n_slow
it's my D in a B

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

whoa there, buddy!

You can post all your questions in one post.

People regularly boost around 6-8psi on a stock motor, but well tuned, 10psi isn't out of the question.

I'm not really the guy to tell you what turbo would be best... try PM'ing Jkan2001 or civicsleeperEX (I don't remember their actual usernames, so you'll have to search), or just use the search function (on the task bar near the top of the page).... there have been many discussions of this in the civic forum.

IMO, vtec controller is pretty useless.

And the exhaust housing attatches to the exhaust via a downpipe... just a piece of piping that goes from the turbo down under the motor and connects to the cat/exhaust...
Old 07-17-2004, 01:43 PM
1hot4door

ok thanks for the help man , i really appreciate it