Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Teg compressor issue (throw me a f'in bone)

Old 06-15-2004, 07:22 AM
FunkySoulBrutha

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Teg compressor issue (throw me a f'in bone)

I have a 94 LS TEG (B18B1)..... last year I was pulling into a stores parking lot and bottomed out the front end.... upon leaving I pulled up to the road to get into traffic.... the engine stalls (???).... I'm freaking out not knowing what the hell is going on.... it starts up fine.... drive on, come to the next stop, and it stalls..... well, I got home and called a buddy of mine for ideas.... he told me to see if the a/c compressor was seized... it was.... so, given the end of summer was approacing and my lack of funds, I simply cut the belt... problem solved.... not really.... not if you want a/c come next summer... well, the summer is here.... yesterday I went out to look things over and noticed (with engine off) the clutch flywheel turns freely (???)..... with no belt I couldn't check it with engine on..... that comes today.... my question is if a clutch "seizes" should it not turn regardless or will it seize up when the a/c is activated/ engine on..... or sometimes both?

A/C worked fine before.... I hit the front end with a decent shot & "poof"!!!
Old 06-16-2004, 05:59 AM
JimBlake

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The compressor clutch was disengaged when you tried to mess with it. So the pulley can just freewheel by itself. Check out a car with working AC, watch the pulley as the AC cycles on & off. The pulley's hub & all that stuff outside the pulley spins along when it's engaged. Maybe you can try & spin that to see if the compressor can turn.