Notices

what it like having a 9000 rpm redline?

Old 04-09-2004, 03:41 PM
estoner102

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what it like having a 9000 rpm redline?

do you have to rev the engine high(like past 4000 rpm) on normal driving?

is it loud at high rpms?

does vtec engage really hard, when does it engage?

does the s2k have little torque at low rpms?
Old 04-09-2004, 10:54 PM
mgs333
Adrninistrator

for normal driving as in granny grocery getting around town, no.

yes, it's loud.

i personally don't think it engages that hard, it engages at 6000 (i'm not sure if the new '04's with the 2.2 engage lower since it has a lower 8000 rpm redline)

yes, it has little torque, the new 2.2 engine is a little better but it's still no torque monster. but i found the car's torque to be just fine in around town driving.

my impressions are from test drives so other owners may have more insight.
Old 04-10-2004, 09:03 AM
Josh M

Its good for daily driving. The new engine has more torque but it still isn't that great. However the only time I really notice its lack of torque is when I'm trying to accellerate hard. Also I don't think its a 9k rpm redline.....I think its more around 8200........since mine is brand new I haven't pushed it really. Especially since I've been so busy! Also I don't think vtec engagement is hard at all. You can hear it but it really doesn't do much for accelleration atleast IMO
Old 04-14-2004, 04:33 AM
Spike
JDM whore

I own a 2001.

You drive it like a normal Honda.

Its pretty loud for a stock car with stock exhaust. If you stop on it, people all around will start looking for you. Its nice...loud, but a classy loudness.

Vtec doesn't engage as hard as it did on my GSR, but its definantly noticable. 2nd and 3rd gear vtec are the most noticable.

Like everyone else has said...it has enough torque for city driving/rush hour. It could use more on the highway and track.

Overall, the more you run it, the better it performs. Its like being run at higher rpm's than, say a Civic, but still gets good gas milage. You end up usualy driving at 4k+ and on the highway,doing 70, it about 3800.

HIH
Old 04-23-2004, 06:42 AM
nextgenholmes
Senior Member Wannabe

loudness is cool ppl like it i just got done driving my new one to south padre island and back ... aka i live in minnesota...
Old 04-23-2004, 07:13 AM
Ant_Knee_S2K

I own a civic and a 2001 S2000.
I rarely ever drive the civic- only when it rains or is freezing cold, which isn't often in Texas.
The S2000 is definitely loud, but only at higher RPM's. Even then, it has a "fast" loud sound rather than just a loud engine sound. My civic is way louder, but thats just the exhaust I have on it.
Vtec doesn't hit like afterburners, but you feel it kick in. You have to be ready for it, it can freak you out if you're not ready.
Torque is a little lacking, but unless you're drag racing, thats not a big deal. In normal traffic, performance is the key, and the S2000 has tons of it.
Old 04-23-2004, 10:23 AM
Spike
JDM whore

:werd:

Well said man.
Old 05-01-2004, 01:14 PM
hondatech
Honda tech/eprom hackr

hmm, as a tech i have driven many. I say it's fine as a daily driver but it does go if you make it. It's NOT a civic. It's scary fast at high speed but it does lack torque. Example.. It will do like 145mph in 5th gear at around 9k with one gear left. I have never maxed an S2k out. Anybody???

It's a little loud but not overbearing. I have driven one with a Comptech blower and mods. intake, exhuast, headers. It then becomes a loudass and you can get sideways pretty quickly.
I think the best quality of the car is the weight dist. and the suspension. It's setup from the factory is more than enough for a street car. It's nice. Very responsive.

I think it's one of the best convert. sports cars out there. (don't beat me up you porshe ppl!)

I am actually trying to still obtain a 65 S600 convert. from a friend to restore.
That car was like the forerunner to the S2k series made in the 60's in Japan. It has four carbs, DOHC and a high redline as well. I believe it was around 8000 rpm at the time which was unheard of in that era.

If you want more info about S600's check out www.hondas600.com
It has a picture of the S600 and the S2k side by side. It makes me wanna cry.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:43 AM
Mountdor

Does anyone know why Honda dropped the redline from 9,000 to 8,000 for the 2004 model?
Old 05-26-2004, 07:59 PM
syclone

Originally Posted by Mountdor
Does anyone know why Honda dropped the redline from 9,000 to 8,000 for the 2004 model?
high rpm and low end torque doesn't mix.. so to gain a little more low end, they had to lower the rev.

i drive the s2000 mainly to compete in auto-x and track days.. when you drive it all out, you forget about the low-end torque.. driving it like it wants to be driven is intoxicating..

Quick Reply: what it like having a 9000 rpm redline?