Notices

"test pipe"

Old 12-12-2003, 01:23 PM
01ir#864

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

after having a fast dohc neon, mazda prtoege5, and a blazer extreme i finally got a itr.......i have a aem cai and tein springs....i getting a dc jdm 4-1 header.....i see everbody saying they have a test pipe? what is this just? a pipe in place of the cat or what also i saw people saw to have a muffler shop make pipe and dont wast money on a cat back? i was thinking skunk2 catback? my buddy works at meineke muffler so i can get pipe for free but it isnt madrel bent.
Old 12-12-2003, 02:07 PM
JUN

generaly test pipes don't need to be bent. it's basically about a foot and a half long pipe that replaces the cat like you said.

i just removed my cat and made my own, just welded the correct size pipe in where the cat used to be. and zip tied my O2 sensor to the front sway bar since i didn't have the plug for it in the pipe i made.

alot of people have been really happy with thier buddy club III catbacks. you should check it out before you buy the skunk2
Old 12-12-2003, 03:33 PM
ITR97

testpipe is good.. only thing is dont get caught with it on.
Old 12-12-2003, 04:37 PM
RGoose18

Originally Posted by JUN
generaly test pipes don't need to be bent. it's basically about a foot and a half long pipe that replaces the cat like you said.

i just removed my cat and made my own, just welded the correct size pipe in where the cat used to be. and zip tied my O2 sensor to the front sway bar since i didn't have the plug for it in the pipe i made.

alot of people have been really happy with thier buddy club III catbacks. you should check it out before you buy the skunk2
Make sure you buy an extra set of earplugs to go w/ that BCIII exhaust + testpipe setup. Loud isn't even the word!!!
Old 12-13-2003, 08:24 AM
JUN

Originally Posted by RGoose18
[quote:bea06513ff="JUN"]generaly test pipes don't need to be bent. it's basically about a foot and a half long pipe that replaces the cat like you said.

Make sure you buy an extra set of earplugs to go w/ that BCIII exhaust + testpipe setup. Loud isn't even the word!!![/quote:bea06513ff]

haha yeah, BCIII is so sexy though
Old 12-13-2003, 11:10 AM
98cwitr
Where's the DC5R???

even though a test pipe gives a good 1-2 more hp than a hp cat and is cheaper do you really want to go through the CEL and emmissions hassle? My verdict: get a 2.5" HP cat
Old 12-13-2003, 11:43 AM
JUN

it's really not that big of deal. i had the O2 CELC pop on one time, over whote it and it never came on again. (going on like 6 months with out the code now)
Old 12-13-2003, 02:59 PM
Trey

Convert to OBD1 and use a Hondata or a Power FC (Not OBD1 it is OBD2a).

Neither of these use the second O2 and you can manage fuel as well
Old 12-16-2003, 05:14 PM
fredtoast

I got a testpipe because I kept reading about high flow cats clogging or rattling after a year. They are too expensive to replace that often.

Instead of just a pipe I used a small glass packed muffler. It only cost $25, it really quieted down my exhaust, and it has no flow restriction at all.
Old 12-17-2003, 04:55 PM
JUN

hmm, have a picture of the glasspack you used?