Notices

Replacing Brake Pads?

Old 07-27-2002, 09:42 PM
Jay Jay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Brake Pads?

I'm nearing the 60K mark on my GS-R and my brake light keeps coming on and off (I'm assuming it's the brake pads wearing out...I checked the fluid and it is fine).

Rather than replacing the worn pads with OEM brake pads, I was thinking about ordering some AEM or Axxis brake pads. For the front and back I can get them for around $110-120 shipped.

Do you guys think it is worth it to go with aftermarket pads or should I just stick with OEM Honda parts? Anyone have any testimonials/experience with these products? Thanks
Old 07-27-2002, 10:04 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

it sure is worth it to get aftermarket pads. depends on the ones you're getting though
Old 07-27-2002, 10:49 PM
Black2KGSR

yes...get aftermarket pads.
they're not that much more than OEM ones...and you'll brake better, and w/ the AEM ones, your rims won't get as dirty from brake dust.
Old 07-27-2002, 11:45 PM
b00gers

you can visually check if your pads need changing....just in case the computer detects something else wrong with the brake system.
Old 07-28-2002, 07:22 AM
pomansouth

umm my brake light comes on when i pull my emergency brake comes on and no other time
Old 07-28-2002, 07:25 AM
newgsrdriver

Is your ebrake cable loose? It will come on for fluid level as well.

I say go with Hawk pads...pretty inexpensive and they make a big difference.
Old 07-28-2002, 07:56 AM
Jay Jay

Originally posted by pomansouth
umm my brake light comes on when i pull my emergency brake comes on and no other time
Yep I checked the e-brake...It says in the manual that if the light comes on while driving to check the fluid or check for worn pads.

I can tell my stopping power isn't what it used to be.
Old 07-28-2002, 08:18 AM
Daniel

Originally posted by pomansouth
This would be a good thing, as the brake light comes on to remind you that you have the e-brake engaged.

Jay Jay, what will you be doing with you car? Drag racing, autocrossing, road racing, or just daily driving? I'd recommend OEM pads for daily driving, and if you're getting into auto-xing, I'd recommend Axxis MetalMasters with some ATE SuperBlue thrown in for brake fluid. For great stopping power, I'm sure you can overlook a little more brake dust and possible squeaks.
Old 07-28-2002, 12:21 PM
Jay Jay

Originally posted by drumsy

This would be a good thing, as the brake light comes on to remind you that you have the e-brake engaged.

Jay Jay, what will you be doing with you car? Drag racing, autocrossing, road racing, or just daily driving? I'd recommend OEM pads for daily driving, and if you're getting into auto-xing, I'd recommend Axxis MetalMasters with some ATE SuperBlue thrown in for brake fluid. For great stopping power, I'm sure you can overlook a little more brake dust and possible squeaks.
Drumsy...I just use my car for daily driving...mostly highway miles too. I don't mind extra brake dust...I just thought since I had to replace the brake pads anyways, It might be better to upgrade with aftermarket parts (AEM/Axxis). What do OEM pads cost anyways?

Thanks for the responses everyone
Old 07-28-2002, 02:20 PM
fidracer

I've had lots of luck with Porterfield R4S pads. They work slightly better than stock when cold and much better once they've warmed up (usually only after a few stops). They're a little pricey ($99 F / $70 R), but pretty darn good.

I do track days and I consider them a must for that kind of abuse. However, I did notice that once the front pads were worn down to about 20%, they nearly disintegrated at track temperatures. I guess that when the friction material wore away the backing plate must have really heated up and it just cooked them. But I still made it home from the track and drove on them for a few months before finally replacing them.

They do dust more than stock pads but it comes right off. Oh, and also they do not have screamers so you need to remember to check them when they're getting low. I put about 15k miles and 6 track days on my fronts before replacing them, the rears are still going strong at 20k, 7 track days (about 30% left).

Anyway, my $0.02.

Quick Reply: Replacing Brake Pads?