Notices

CAI, is it a good time to get one?

Old 12-10-2003, 09:13 AM
PavPPZ1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAI, is it a good time to get one?

I have an 03 accord, and am thinking about upgradeing to a aftermarket cai, is right now a good time or should I wait till the next gen cai's come out, v2 or icebox some of which i ve heard, so right now i have to choose from aem or injen, will there be a v2 from aem for the i4 series sedans? whats the best route to take in my position?
Old 12-10-2003, 11:42 AM
Cosmo M3
Lurker

Default Re: CAI, is it a good time to get one?

Originally posted by PavPPZ1
I have an 03 accord, and am thinking about upgradeing to a aftermarket cai, is right now a good time or should I wait till the next gen cai's come out, v2 or icebox some of which i ve heard, so right now i have to choose from aem or injen, will there be a v2 from aem for the i4 series sedans? whats the best route to take in my position?
I dunno if its worth paying $250+ for a AEM V2 that might give you 2-3HP more over their stock AEM. Injen Racing Division CAIs are probably better for your accord. The K series on the new 2003 Accord 4Cylinders perform very well with simple bolt-on, so I would suggest that you get an Injen.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:12 PM
Weiman

i would wait for icebox, cant beat their warrenty!!!! hydrolock = new engine :thumbup:

if they had one for my car i would ditch my AEM SRIh:
Old 12-10-2003, 01:11 PM
aphex
driftin'

Hydrolock fear is scary. Get an icebox or SRI
Old 12-10-2003, 01:12 PM
decibel_dj

HYDROLOCK wont happen unless your car is deep into the water.. even w/ a CAI and a massive drop you'd still need to be in a pubble a few inches deep to get enough water into the intake to get HYDROLOCK.. trust me i my intake was only INCHES off the ground and only got water into my intake 2 times both times the water was high enough to get into my door sills any other time i had no problems.. regardless i had a bypass since my ride was so low.. (95 w/ 3" drop all around)
Old 12-10-2003, 02:10 PM
Weiman

no point for CAI if you have bypass valveh:

im just saying icebox owns because IF you do, they replace the engine. and it might not happen to you, but it can happen to someone else.
Old 12-10-2003, 02:42 PM
uclaccord

Originally posted by aphex
Hydrolock fear is scary. Get an icebox or SRI
Hydrolock fear is very lil...stay away from puddles...be smart...end of fear...end of story
Old 12-11-2003, 07:45 AM
PavPPZ1

I do not fear hydrolock, but i am not sure which intake to go with, forget about v2 is everyone saying that, or wait for the v2, if not then go with injen? if i am waiting for icebox i may as well wait for v2 is what you guys are saying?
Old 12-11-2003, 08:53 AM
TommyATR

use common sense...
if you live in a climate that gets alot of rain you should go for the icebox. othervise take the aem v2!
Old 12-11-2003, 05:10 PM
wheeelman

I got an 2001 Accord V6
I would advise you to get an INJEN IS series ..it is a Short Ram style Intake SRI. I got it at WWW.RPMMOTORING.COM for $129.60 w/ free shipping . I have one and it works great...you will have the option of adding a cold air extension tube for about 60 - 70 bucks. so u can go SRI or CAI anytime u want. Any type of aftermarket intake will benefit your motor..just depends how much u want to spend. Sound will be the same for either style CAI or SRI..its just one is closer to the cockpit (SRI) and one is near the ground (CAI). Hydrolock is no big concern but should be considered..the motor can accept a minimal amount of water..but you WILL need to be careful with a CAI. Dont get a bypass valve it decreases flow and the benefit of intake is lost