Notices

New Problems with my 5th Gen?

Old 12-03-2003, 02:33 PM
Hour

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Problems with my 5th Gen?

First off - I will be taking the car to a mechanic within the week, but I'd like to hear some opinions from you all first.

I have a 1995 Accord EX Auto with only CAI on. The car has 136,000 miles on it. The transmission has always shifted a little rough but lately it seems especially after decelerating to say..go around a sharp turn, when I come out of the turn and want to give it some gas (even just a little) the RPM's shoot up by almost 1,000 exactly and the car growls a little. Feels hesitant. Then, about two seconds after this, i guess the gear catches or whatever's happening, and it's fine after that. I'm worried about this mainly because of something I recall reading - and also, if I ever got an exhaust it'd be the lamest sounding thing ever. Maybe that serves me right for wanting to get an audible muffler on an auto?

The other problem, is that my car feels like it's wobbling when it comes to stops. It's not in the steering wheel really at all, it feels like the car is shaking forward and then backward quickly. In addition to this, I often feel this shaking through the break pedal, feels real real weird. Don't know how else to describe it, not really a vibration but hits through the break.

Any input is greatly appreciated. Just trying to find out what i'm up against. I sadly recall hearing the transmission problem I'm having related to the transmission about to go (yikes).

Thanks.
Old 12-03-2003, 04:27 PM
Mr White

I'm not sure about your acceleration problem but the braking might be due to warped rotors.
Maybe have someone check that out unless someone here can think of something else.
Old 12-03-2003, 04:43 PM
Bl@ck
Sinner

Originally posted by Mr White
I'm not sure about your acceleration problem but the braking might be due to warped rotors.
Maybe have someone check that out unless someone here can think of something else.
warped rotors you'd feel in the steering wheel.. he said it's kinds surging back and forth when braking.. sounds like the tranny is going, especially with the car shifting rough.. also may want to check the tranny fluid

edit: nm.. re read his post.. it could very well be warped rotors.. fairly inexpensive compared to the tranny
Old 12-03-2003, 05:55 PM
Baco95
that just ain't baaalla!

Default Re: New Problems with my 5th Gen?

Originally posted by Hour
I have a 1995 Accord EX Auto with only CAI on. The car has 136,000 miles on it. The transmission has always shifted a little rough but lately it seems especially after decelerating to say..go around a sharp turn, when I come out of the turn and want to give it some gas (even just a little) the RPM's shoot up by almost 1,000 exactly and the car growls a little. Feels hesitant. Then, about two seconds after this, i guess the gear catches or whatever's happening, and it's fine after that.
It's just dropping from 3rd to 2nd....I notice the same thing
Old 12-03-2003, 06:13 PM
JJJ784
No Soup For You!

change your atf yo!
Old 12-09-2003, 07:08 PM
ItsaHonda

My car does the same thing when coming out of turn from about 30 mpg, the transmission will downshift as soon as I hit the gas to proceed, then immediately upshift into the next gear. Like some said above, this is just the transmission downshifting/upshifting, and is no indication of a failing transmission (every Accord I've driven has done this) My car has done it since I bought w/ 40k miles... now has 103k miles. ATF changed at 30k mile intervals. As for the rough shifting, keep in mind that 5th and older gen Accords (or Hondas in general, I assume) tend to shift a bit more harsh than other trannies...and is perfectly normal for these cars. Honda has a sugar coated name for it, but they realized it was a problem for the average Accord buyer and thus corrected it for 98 (yet created other, far worse problems..lol) I dont mind it at all, infact I think I even like it better... all but the overly exaggerated downshifts. Not sure about the braking problem, sounds like they are pulsating.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:00 PM
Baco95
that just ain't baaalla!

Default Re: New Problems with my 5th Gen?

Originally posted by ItsaHonda
the transmission will downshift as soon as I hit the gas to proceed, then immediately upshift into the next gear
yep....the ability to give more gas in third before dropping to second would be ideal.....gotta love the autos :happysad:

Originally posted by Hour
if I ever got an exhaust it'd be the lamest sounding thing ever.
I have an auto, but I still love my exhaust......it makes driving more enjoyable which is all that matters. Screw the random chumps that happen to see you go around a slow turn. :irock:
Old 12-10-2003, 06:23 AM
drmmrboy87

yeah, mines auto, but I still love the exhaust. Compared to all the other cars at school, kids I don't even know always give me compliments on it. Most of the kids around here buy those damn cheap mufflers that sound shitty, so people must be suprised that mine isn't all whiney and high pitch. I do wish the sound was like a stick though, but most people don't know the difference.