Notices

CTR Crank Pulley Question

Old 12-03-2003, 08:20 AM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CTR Crank Pulley Question

I have a Honda crank pulley for the B16 CTR motor that I would like to put on my B18C1. This pulley only drives the alternator and I have already removed my PS and AC. The new pulley is slightly smaller than the OEM one so I cannot use the 310 belt on there now and need either a 290 or 295.

What I would like to know is if there will be any effect on the electrical system of my car by running the alternator with a smaller pulley?

Thanks
Old 12-03-2003, 09:14 AM
Spec R

A buddy of mine has the same setup on his GSR/ITR motor with no a/c-p/s. He doesnt have any problems. Its OEM so it cant be that hurtful to your setup, if at all. At least its not like the AEM pulleys where it destroys your alternator.
Old 12-03-2003, 12:05 PM
txhatch
I hate 2003 Noobs.

The pulley isnt made for your motor and honda balances each crank pulley for its particular motor. Putting a pulley that was not designed for the block might (most likely) result in a shorter life for the crank main bearings.
Old 12-03-2003, 12:10 PM
DVPGSR
I need sleep...

Originally posted by txhatch
The pulley isnt made for your motor and honda balances each crank pulley for its particular motor. Putting a pulley that was not designed for the block might (most likely) result in a shorter life for the crank main bearings.
I was under the impression this pulley would work for all B series motors.

How is this different from getting lighter pulleys such as Unorthodox, AEM, etc? I am not really familiar with the balancing of cranks, could you explain or direct me where to go, to find out more on this?
Old 12-03-2003, 12:11 PM
qtiger

Originally posted by txhatch
OEM pulleys include harmonic balancers. This is true for aftermarket pulleys but not OEM
Old 12-03-2003, 05:44 PM
Snoopy
been there done that

didnt bumnah have one on his b18c1?
Old 12-04-2003, 12:51 AM
Spec R

Yeah resonance harmonics with engine motion gets pretty damn technical. A lot of the hard-core honda dragster guys/girls used to go crazy with knife edging cranks and super light pulleys but found it to be detrimental to the lifespan of bearings and other related vital engine parts. Thats why you'll see guys running a stock LS crank pulley since it has the most weight/balancing effect of all the B-series.

On another note, I still dont see the CTR pulley on a relatively lightly modded engine, as a problem to engine life or longevity. But then again, it came from a low torque output B16B. Hmmmmmm....