Notices

Good deal for my buddy

Old 11-26-2003, 06:41 PM
jinx-mitchell
The Comic Guy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good deal for my buddy

So my friend and I have always been like "down with Honda!" and such and now we both own them. He got a good deal I think though. 94 Civic EX coupe 180k miles $2k. The old owner thought it was a lost cause and my friend knew I had a few months experience with Honda's so he called me and we checked it out to see what we had to do to fix it. What he was told was wrong: bad radiator, bad oil leak, needed vtec solenoid, broken window, pass side window doesn't go up/down, some rice...

What we did and what it cost: coolant leak-found that it leaked from plastic resevoir so I turned the inside hose upside down so the tight end sealed the leak. He wrapped the cap thread with plumber's tape for good measure-had plumber's tape=free. Oil leak, VTEC solenoid-remove broken bolt from solenoid with drill and easy-out, replaced seals, replace bolts and put it back on-seals were something like $35, bolts about $4. Broken window-wasn't broken, just missing a clip. We made a new clip out of a piece of aluminum and mounted it with a bolt and wingnut after we epoxied it to the window=$1. Pass window... haven't gotten that far. Rice-fake carbon fiber shift knob removed for used OEM shift knob-$15. Shit quality clear corners-replaced with OEM corners-$20. In the trunk, the bottom flat piece was replaced with some plywood drilled into the metal, so we removed that, picked up the OEM bottom with carpet for $15 and repainted the drill holes to keep the big bad rust out. The car had a tune up about 2000 miles ago including t-belt and w-pump. I think everything is cool now except for the ugly chrome 14's (with fairly new tires) and the pass window not moving. So, the total cost was $2090. Good deal?
Old 11-26-2003, 07:01 PM
Nelson
Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cliff notes: You got a good deal on an EX ?
- SOLD
EG Ferio - SOLD

FA Ferio - Returned
www.NelsonLee.net

Old 11-26-2003, 08:18 PM
jinx-mitchell
The Comic Guy

I dunno. I guess I was just amazed that someone would just give up on a car with such minor problems and sell it for so cheap. Sorry if this is a stupid post, I'm bored.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:25 PM
Nelson
Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally posted by jinx-mitchell
I dunno. I guess I was just amazed that someone would just give up on a car with such minor problems and sell it for so cheap. Sorry if this is a stupid post, I'm bored.
Not stupid, just took me a while to read through it.

I think it's a pretty decent deal for an EX. :thumbup:
- SOLD
EG Ferio - SOLD

FA Ferio - Returned
www.NelsonLee.net

Old 11-26-2003, 10:47 PM
firebane

I paid $1,000 for my car. Its a 93 4dr LX. The engine was toast which I've replaced as is the front left fender/door and trunk. I know there is something else, but its all minor stuff to fix. You got a really good deal.
Old 11-27-2003, 10:55 AM
vtecadil

there was a 94 LX here with a bad motor but perfect everything else for 450 bucks, i almost bought it but i already have two cars and my dad said no.