Notices

HELP - Sunroof Departure!

Old 10-15-2003, 06:55 PM
msims

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP - Sunroof Departure!

My daughter has a 97 Integra hatchback. While driving back to college this weekend, the sunroof glass decided to part ways with the car and is probably in a jillion pieces on the interstate somewhere. I found another glass in the salvage yard and am planning to install it this weekend. Doesn't look to hard - 3 allen screws on each side. I haven't seen what part broke, but I'm assuming the glass separated from the metal frame because she says "it looks like tar where the glass was held in".

My question is - has this happened to others in the forum? If so, did the glass separate from the frame, or did the screws come loose, or did some other part break? I've got to be prepared to fix it and get her back to school in one day. Any suggestions on what to expect?

Thanks,
Marty
Old 10-15-2003, 06:59 PM
kfar09

my sunroof is still in contact! the only thing is that it is a little rough when it goes back. (dont want to whore the tread but what will smooth that out?) whatever the greace is or silicon, make sure you put some on when you install it. i've never heard of the sunroof falling off. good luck with it
Old 10-15-2003, 07:10 PM
illnasty

my friends sunroof in a crx fell off... lol he was going 120 and that thing went flying LOL
Old 10-15-2003, 07:17 PM
Shore 96 Teg
I miss my 93 VTEC Lude :(

Originally posted by kfar09
my sunroof is still in contact! the only thing is that it is a little rough when it goes back. (dont want to whore the tread but what will smooth that out?) whatever the greace is or silicon, make sure you put some on when you install it. i've never heard of the sunroof falling off. good luck with it
just use some WD-40 or is it DW-40 :dunno:

as for fixing the glass....make sure you use some kind of caulking material as well as screwing it into place securely so it doesn't leak. Post instructions and pics when you are done :thumbup:
Old 10-15-2003, 07:26 PM
Cheap Labour

Originally posted by illnasty
my friends sunroof in a crx fell off... lol he was going 120 and that thing went flying LOL
Psst...I don't think you're supposed to mentioning speeds when there's a dad around.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:29 PM
Xymox007
Björkian

Originally posted by Cheap Labour
Psst...I don't think you're supposed to mentioning speeds when there's a dad around.
LOL!
Old 10-15-2003, 07:43 PM
Daniel

Marty,

Sorry to hear about the experience.

There are six total screws that mount the glass to the glass brackets. They are unscrewed with an alan wrench. I've found it very difficult before to remove these, because of the angle of approach you have is horrible, not to mention it's hard to not strip them. Of course, there is no glass anymore so you should do just fine.

Did the glass fly out or do you know if the glass brackets went with it? Is there a bracket on each side of the moonroof that is no longer attached to something? You may be missing more than just the glass, such as the brackets, lifter, sunshade, etc. I've priced an entire moonroof assembly, including frame seal, motor, and glass, and the entire piece will just bolt in with 8 bolts.

Good luck with the installation and let us know how it goes or if you have any more questions!
Old 10-16-2003, 06:15 PM
msims

Originally posted by Cheap Labour
As long as it's not MY daughter driving that speed and you're not endangering anyone but yourself - have at it. Try to save that stuff for the race track though, cause we'd like to keep you around for awhile.

Marty

BTW - Here's "Dad's" car:

http://hometown.aol.com/msims79739/
Old 10-16-2003, 06:31 PM
msims

Originally posted by drumsy
Did the glass fly out or do you know if the glass brackets went with it? Is there a bracket on each side of the moonroof that is no longer attached to something? You may be missing more than just the glass, such as the brackets, lifter, sunshade, etc. I've priced an entire moonroof assembly, including frame seal, motor, and glass, and the entire piece will just bolt in with 8 bolts.
I haven't seen it yet, but it sounds like the metal frame with the 3 screws on each side is still there and just the glass separated from the frame. The sunshade is still there. I'm guessing someone tried to break into it when the roof was partially open or tried to pry it open. We also had a water leak when it rained that kept filling the spare tire well. The Acura dealer had some water sealing company "fix the problem". I'm wondering if they pulled the glass loose and tried sealing it with windshield adhesive. I bought a used glass for $125 on Tuesday. The Acura dealer wanted $479 just for the glass not including installation. The salvage yard unbolted the whole moonroof assembly, then removed just the glass while I watched. So, I know how it's installed now and if it's more than the glass I'll go back and get the rest of the assembly. It would mean having to remove and replace the headliner though. I'll let you all know how it turns out after I get back from installing the glass on Saturday.

Thanks for all the quick and helpful responses!

Marty
Old 10-16-2003, 07:15 PM
Cheap Labour

Dad's car isn't that shabby (understated) but I'm more into European cars than muscle.

And I don't street race. Ever. I've got a friend who drives his cars like it's a race every time he gets behind the wheel. Wrecked a 944 Turbo and Saab 900 in just 3 years. Needless to say I'm not very impressed by him.