Notices

What does valve adjustment do? How much is it?

Old 10-10-2003, 11:37 AM
95TEGGY

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What does valve adjustment do? How much is it?

Hi guys, i know this kind of a noob question, but i havent serviced the car for a while and its got 92k on it. Now my engine maintenance flashed a few times after the car has started and then turns off. I asked the dealer and the guys just said that its time to take it in for service. I asked him what the service includes and most of the things were stupid oil change and what not but the one that i didint know is valve adjustment. Do you guys know what that it, and what it does for the car. Like if i dont do it, is there a chance that i will mess something up or is there any way of knowing if i need the valve adjustment or not. And have any of you guys done the valve adjustment, do you know how much it costs? Thanks
Old 10-10-2003, 11:59 AM
Daniel

Sounds like it's time for your 90k vehicle service. This includes changing the timing belt and water pump.

I would also recommend flushing/replacing your coolant, transmission fluid, oil if you haven't done so in the last 3k miles, air filter, fuel filter, spark plug, spark plug wires, distributor cap and rotor. If you power steering, alternator, and a/c belts look worn or are missing teeth, you might want to replace those as well.
Old 10-10-2003, 01:25 PM
v-teg01
Candy

i dont know what your car sounds like but if you here a ticking noise while your car is driving or idling, it means you need a vavle adjustment. it could be a larger problem later if you dont take care of it but get it done, its important, it only cost me 20 bucks at my nearest performance shop.
Old 10-10-2003, 01:25 PM
dave0283

i had to do a valve adjustment because my engine was making a loud tapping sound. It sound like a squeak or so. It cost me around 100 to get it done. I 've have heard of people doing it themselves and they say its not all that complicated. I saw a HOW TO somewhere and if i find it i'll send you the link.
Old 10-10-2003, 01:32 PM
v-teg01
Candy

If you want to do it yourself you have to find the right, i dont know how to say it , measurments i guess to line every thing up. i personlly have not done it by my self but i heard its not all that hard
Old 10-10-2003, 01:59 PM
dave0283

here is the link that might be of some help
http://www.bseries.net/html/garage/valveadjust.php
Old 10-10-2003, 02:02 PM
Tigger

Here is a link showing hot to do a valve adjustment on a GSR motor. It isn't much different from yours, except it is a little easier due to the oil rails not being there. It is a fairly simple process. I do one on my car about once a year, or every 15K miles.

Valve Adjustment
Old 10-10-2003, 02:31 PM
95TEGGY

well the clicking noise that im talking about is when the angine is just runnin and it comes from the driver side of the engine under low rpm. The noise is especially loud when the car is cold so i dont know if that will help
Old 10-10-2003, 09:33 PM
jeepxj66

Originally posted by 95TEGGY
well the clicking noise that im talking about is when the angine is just runnin and it comes from the driver side of the engine under low rpm. The noise is especially loud when the car is cold so i dont know if that will help
Sounds like you could use the valve adjustment. That should help the noise.
How well has your car been maintained? Like drumsy said there are maintenance intervals for certain things on any car. If they have not been done then they need to be. Or you can wait till everything breaks and foot the bill when the car says so instead of taking care of the problem on your schedule. And it is usually more expensive to fix a broken part than the maintenance to keep it from breaking.
Old 10-11-2003, 07:36 AM
Tobra

The maint light is something that is connected tot he odometer, reminder thing. Do yourself a favor and get the maint on the car doneas Drumsy advised. Iwould add replacing the seals, at the least the cam seals. A valve adjustment is easy to do. Your motor is made of different types of metals. Various metals expand and contract at different rates when they heat and cool. The valves get too tight or too loose over time. I can't remember the clearances, but you use a feeler gauge(Like to gap a spark plug) to measure it. I would pay someone and have them do the water pump and the timing belt, as the crank bolt is a tight MFer and will probably require an impact wrench for removal, an item I don't hapen to own.