Notices

Oil light came on followed by knocking/pinging...

Old 09-07-2007, 09:33 AM
mberndt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man that does suck!!
OEM parts too, man that blows...
I would be pissed . Only 15k miles wtf...

Looks like the pump might have gotten something in it and destroyed itself...
Well, I guess you got 2 options now, either rebuild it or see if you can find a GSR shortblock for sale.

Sorry to hear this, after you said you saved up just to get the car and now this happens. If you are not comfortable doing the work yourself, getting a used block might be the best option. Maybe an LS/VTEC would be cheaper route...
Old 09-07-2007, 03:53 PM
2001TEGGSR

I'm :thinking: that those pieces of metal in the OP's hand look thick, and like the wrong type of metal to be bearings. I can't see real well but it almost looks like the ring grooves, ring lands maybe?

Or are those just internal parts of the Oil Pump? I've never taken an oil pump apart, I just repliced mine as a whole unit when I built my block.

I only ask because its possible that your cylinders are scored beyond repair.

Edit: The oil pickup screen would have kept anything from entering the pump, so I assume those are pieces of the pump itself. never mind :doh: -

Last edited by 2001TEGGSR; 09-07-2007 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:13 PM
jesusublime99

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to confirm, those are pieces the fell from inside the oil pump. I replaced the oil pump last year when I bent some valves, all parts I use are oem or better.

The bearings on the main caps look like they have 180k on them- worn down. I'll post pictures of them so you guys can draw some conclusions for me.

As far as rebuild or buy used/new, I'm a rebuild type of a guy; even though I've never done a block before. I'm always ready to learn. Luckily, I have a garage, some tools, and a Helms.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:26 AM
mberndt

Originally Posted by jesusublime99
Just to confirm, those are pieces the fell from inside the oil pump. I replaced the oil pump last year when I bent some valves, all parts I use are oem or better.

The bearings on the main caps look like they have 180k on them- worn down. I'll post pictures of them so you guys can draw some conclusions for me.

As far as rebuild or buy used/new, I'm a rebuild type of a guy; even though I've never done a block before. I'm always ready to learn. Luckily, I have a garage, some tools, and a Helms.
Yeah, those are not bearing pieces, they look like the rotors of the pump itself...

Go for the rebuild, its not that difficult. Just need to get/borrow an engine crane to remove the motor, and an engine stand in order to remove the crank. I got a 750lb stand from harbor freight for like ~$40 or $50 bucks.

Good luck!
Old 09-10-2007, 08:55 PM
t-rav

This Just happend to me in my 04 TSX with 85k. I wasn't driving it at the time it happend so i am not sure if my buddy was beating it or not. Tons of bearing shaving in the OP. I am taking in to Acura tomorrow to see if they can find the cause. Maybe get the parts for free and pay for labor or some sort of deal. I bought a Acura for the reliability and i should have nbought a cobalt it seems. I will let you know what they say. I am guessing oil pump failure. But 85 K?? WTF anyone else deal with this?
Old 09-11-2007, 05:42 PM
v6_accord_jerz
Stupid Power Ball

^^^ You can't blame "Honda" in general for one bad TSX oil pump. It's not something that frequently happens. Maybe 1 in every 10k might do that and you were just the unlucky one. Honda's for the most part are a very reliable Make. If you were to get a cobalt, a bad oil pump would have been the least of your worries. h:
Old 09-12-2007, 03:11 AM
dray

Originally Posted by v6_accord_jerz
If you were to get a cobalt, a bad oil pump would have been the least of your worries. h:
I had a 05 cobalt and put almost 100,000 miles on it before i was rearend and it was totaled. Never had any trouble out of it!!