Notices

B18a1 tdc

Old 06-13-2010, 08:11 AM
joe_kewl81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheOtherDave™
Yes. The water pump is driven by the timing belt and should be replaced out of an abundance of caution.
ironically enough the water pump went out on the replacement engine i ended up going with, glad i had the other engine for "practice" first, and im also glad i now know how to replace that damn thing, as well as find the tdc marks, thanks for the help.
Old 02-07-2017, 11:09 AM
Baines4t4

can some one help me im trying to find TDC with out timing covers i do have a dial gauge and my issue is there like a thousanth of an inch space between the rise and fall of the piston where exactly should i set it at ? as it rises and pauses or halfway through the pause or at the end right before it starts to fall and is there a better way to lock the cams together cuz the hole punches alldata recomends dont work cuz the holes on the cams are bigger than the holes on the cam holders lol
Old 02-08-2017, 05:31 PM
ChrisS

TDC for the cams is simple.
On cam pulleys, "UP" arrows pointing up and witness marks (- bolt - - bolt -) line up parallel to head surface.

Engine TDC
As long as you're very close to the top of the stroke, the timing belt should index correctly to TDC.
how many teeth on the crankshaft timing belt pulley(n)?
360/n = how much you would have to be off to miss being correctly synced between the cam shafts and crankshaft.

Where are the timing covers?
Note: without the engine timing belt cover, I don't know how you will set the engine timing.
(I don't know which direction the crankshaft keyway should be pointed when at TDC. It could be straight up toward the top of the engine block which would make the most logical sense.)

take care,
ChrisS

Last edited by ChrisS; 02-08-2017 at 05:32 PM.