Notices

overheating problem...water pump?

Old 06-04-2008, 10:54 AM
acuragal03

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default overheating problem...water pump?

Ok so after driving my car for about 10 minutes the temp gauge starts rising quickly. It only does this when I come to a stop. If I put my foot on the gas just slightly and the temp guage starts going back down. So if I'm stopped I just have to gas the car a bit until I start moving again and that will keep the temp down. I have changed the coolant. I was was thinking maybe it was the water pump?
Old 06-04-2008, 11:09 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

The water pump is driven by the same belt that drives the camshafts; failure of the pump would be much more dramatic.

My money is on the thermostat. When you replaced the coolant, did you test the thermostat to ensure it opens at about 150°F?

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 06-04-2008, 11:19 AM
acuragal03

If it's directly related to the camshaft wouldn't it make more sense that it is the water pump? As long as I am revving the engine it doesn't overheat...
Old 06-04-2008, 11:38 AM
TheOtherDave™
Apathy Kills

Originally Posted by acuragal03
If it's directly related to the camshaft wouldn't it make more sense that it is the water pump? As long as I am revving the engine it doesn't overheat...
Not if the thermostat has failed and is stuck in the closed position.
With the thermostat closed, the flow to the radiator is restricted and the coolant temperature will be more susceptible to fluctuations based on flow rate.

If you take that car out on a lengthy highway run, you will discover that the coolant temperature will continue to rise as both the coolant and engine block reach their limit of heat absorption. Once you pass that limit, you risk blowing the head gasket, warping the cylinder head or worse.

If you're due for a timing belt change (which should happen every 90,000 or 6 years), by all means replace the water pump while you're down there.
It's a good insurance policy.

But if the thermostat isn't opening, the symptoms you describe are going to continue. The same thing happened to my GTi after I changed to an electric water pump and the thermostat was the culprit.

:: HAN Integra FAQ: If, by some miracle, yours hasn't been stolen... check it out!
Old 06-04-2008, 12:12 PM
whatinthe
The Duke of Earl

The water pump will start leaking if it goes bad. The thermostat is worth a try. It sounds like ur problem
Old 06-09-2008, 04:22 AM
Lynxs1981

Old post I see, but try bleeding the system. Sounds like it could also be some trapped air since it normalizes when you rev it.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:12 PM
whatinthe
The Duke of Earl

Did u ever run radiator sealer thru ur motor? I did. Trust me, dont ever do it. I think that it clogged some passage ways in my motor.
Old 06-22-2008, 03:13 PM
Lynxs1981

The water pump only leaks if the seals go bad. The impeller inside can also weaken and reduce flow. This happened in my friends eclipse.
Old 06-23-2008, 03:45 PM
primetime

its the thermostat.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:31 AM
ADRONICUS
www.ufc.com

Don't forget to check the relay under the hood in the fat-ass fuse box collection. I have found this to be the problem as well.