Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Cel Code 38??? on JDM B16A

Old 09-02-2003, 07:18 AM
Civic Type Sev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cel Code 38??? on JDM B16A

Someone must know what this code is. I tried to do a search on this one and have checked out the cel code list on c-speedracing.com but they are all missing cel code 38.

The JDM B16A has been installed into my friend's 97 Civic EX and I did all the wiring. I did the same swap into my 97 DX but mine was a USDM B16A2. The notable differences between the two engines was the absence of the vtec oil pressure switch on the jdm engine and the absence of the connector for the CKF (crank speed fluctuation sensor) in front of the altenator/behind the water pump.

On top of cel 38; i'm getting cel code 54 which is the CKF sensor. I know the ecu is the proper one for the engine since there is no cel code present for the lack of a vtec oil pressure switch. What I'm wondering is if there could be a CKF on the engine but in a different location.
:thinking:
Thanks for the help
Old 09-02-2003, 01:30 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

To my knowledge, there is no code 38. Unusual codes usually indicate a faulty ECU. Do you know anyone who has one you can borrow?

It should also have a CKF, but where, I don't know.
Old 09-03-2003, 07:07 AM
Civic Type Sev

Originally posted by Kai
To my knowledge, there is no code 38. Unusual codes usually indicate a faulty ECU. Do you know anyone who has one you can borrow?
I know many people that have jdm b16's swapped into their cars but this is the first one I see without a vtec oil pressure switch. So using their ecu would result in the loss of vtec. The ecu would look for the pressure switch and throw a cel.
Thanks though.... it might be a good idea to try it temporarily just to see if it would still throw cel 38.

Anyone else know if there might be jdm specific cel codes??? or if this is really a faulty ecu.

Thanks
Old 09-03-2003, 09:40 AM
Kai
Rotorphile.

I mean an ECU identical to yours, I am aware of the complications some other ECUs would pose.

I thought none of the OBD-2 JDM B16A's had VTEC oil pressure switches? That or they were missing some other little tidbit that would normally be there.
Old 09-03-2003, 01:56 PM
Civic Type Sev

Now that I think about it... it is very possible that all obd2 b16a's don't have the pressure switch. All of the JDM B16s in this area that I know of are all obd1 and they all have it.
I'm pretty sure it's going to be really hard to find an obd2 b16a ecu around here. I'll just have to try the usdm ecu to see if It still throws cel code 38. That way I'll know if his ecu is good or not. If not then I'll have to locate a proper jdm obd2 b16 ecu.
Thanks for your help.