Notices

airbag help

Old 06-11-2003, 03:04 PM
r2k2d2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default airbag help

my airbag blew not too long ago on my 1993 honda accord. i have taped it all up but it looks like crap. anyone know how to remove the old blown airbag from the steering wheel and just put a new one in? thats all i want to do, just so the steering wheel doesnt look like trash. dealer wants too much $$ to do everything, about 1500-2000, not worth it for a car thats barely worth that much. give me some advice and help.

thanks.
Old 06-11-2003, 04:21 PM
honda guy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on the sides of the wheel there is acces panels thats were the screws are they are torx . if the bag blew you way have to replace the control unit to once they deploy i think they are pretty much garbage
Old 06-11-2003, 04:33 PM
r2k2d2

where on the sides of the wheel, i cant seem to find it. where can i get a new control unit? by control unit, u mean the computer for the airbag? also, where can i get a new airbag for it? and then do i just slide it in and bolt it down?

thanks,
Raj
Old 06-11-2003, 06:19 PM
Tirod

u could always go aftermarket wheel... if yer into that :dunno:
Old 06-11-2003, 06:21 PM
AccordManiac
Korean Member

Here you go... from ebay auction..
Keep in mind.. 96 and newer Accord have different airbag system..
So for 4th generation Accord you will need to find one from 91 ~ 95 Accord!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2417945536

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2418048111

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2418723179

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2418956782

Good luck..
Old 06-11-2003, 06:35 PM
fastball
A little chin music

Location: Cleveland, Ohio - Rock 'n Roll capitol of the World

Also, keep in mind that if your air bag is not serviced by authorized technicians, I do not recomend you let anyone else drive your car. If there is an accident and they are injured, and the air bag either didn't work at all or added to injury, YOU are liable. Air bags are touchy things. I know the economics may not favor doing things the right way, but you must consider all angles when dealing with air bags. There are federal laws governing these things. I would not want to mess with them.
Old 06-11-2003, 06:47 PM
r2k2d2

like Tirod said, what about an aftermarket wheel? if i put on an aftermarket steering wheel can i still keep all of my cruise control options that are on the standard wheel? if so, what steering wheel do you think i should get and from where? also, how do i go about taking off my honda wheel and putting on the new one? i know its a lot of questions, but i really appreciate all the help.
thanks,
Raj
Old 06-12-2003, 05:32 AM
AccordManiac
Korean Member

Haynes manual for Honda Accord 90~93.. Chapter 10-10 and 10-11 has how to... removing the steering wheel with airbags..

Call up the Honda Dealer and ask about airbag control unit... I am not sure but honda guy might be right.. Maybe you have to replace them.

Here is the link to ebay auction.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2418910929
Old 06-12-2003, 07:45 AM
iakona
green quarter...

with a little bit of wiring know how and your local radio shack, yes you can keep your cruise control, but it won't look stock.

just go aftermarket!
Old 06-14-2003, 04:05 AM
AccordManiac
Korean Member

I got this info from different honda board...
From.. hondasociety / accordtuner.com
If this works.. give them credit..
I was going to post the link but I have no idea.. you having hondasociety and accordtuner.com account...
I am not try to advertise but accounttuner.com 4G Accord section is very good and moderator also has 10th Anniversersary Editon Accord. If you have time... go and visit the site.... :thumbup:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How to Reset the SRS Sensor
O.K., here is the DIY for resetting the memory for your SRS Light. Your SRS Light may trigger and remain illuminated for several reasons. Some of which are:
Unplugging your gauge cluster
Unplugging your SRS harness(es) when you remove your seats
Unplugging any other SRS plugs and turning your ignition on

This DIY is intended ONLY for resetting your SRS Indicator Light when it is triggered for the reasons listed above. Your SRS Light may indicate a more serious problem that should be evaluated by your local Authorized Honda/Acura Technician. Remember, that airbag may save your life or the life of someone you care about so don't disregard that indicator light unless you are sure that it triggered for some other reason. That being said, here are some pics and instructions for resetting the SRS Light (note: These pics are from a 6th Gen Accord EX Coupe 4AT. The MES plug may be located in a different location on other models. Make sure you know what you are unplugging. There are no contacts inside the port that the MES Plug plugs into.)

Tools needed:
Flashlight (if needed to search for MES Plug under dash)
2 1/2 ft. piece of small gauge speaker wire (insulation stripped off ends)

(1) Locate MES Plug. It should be located near the driver's side fuse panel under the dash. The harness is yellow with two wires.

(2) Unplug the MES Plug. It should look like this.

(3) Insert one end of speaker wire into MES Plug (one wire in each contact)

(4) Follow this sequence of shorting the other two leads of the speaker wire and turning the ignition to "on" (not accessory, not start)

-Short and hold the leads while you turn the ignition to on. The SRS Light will illuminate for a few seconds then go off.
-When the SRS Light goes off, unshort the wires. The SRS Light will come back on.
-Short and hold the wires again. The SRS Light will go off.
-When the SRS Light goes off, unshort the wires. The SRS Light will blink twice.
-Turn the ignition off.
-Start engine as normal. The SRS Light should illuminate for a couple of seconds as normal and then go off.

(5) Sound easy enough? Should take 15 seconds or so for the whole procedure. Good luck.

Special thx to k67p67 from sh.

I think this should be sticky =)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How To Reset SRS Light w/o Dealership
To reset the SRS light, here are the cliff notes -

1. bend a paper clip into a 'U' shape to create a loop
2. disconnect the yellow plug in your fuse box under the steering wheel and insert the paperclip into the plug that is now hanging there to complete the circuit
3. turn the ignition on and the SRS light will stay on for 6 seconds, then go off - disconnect the paperclip within 4 seconds after that and the light will come back on
4. reconnect the paperclip within 4 seconds and the SRS light will go off again
5. within another 4 seconds of it going off, disconnect the paperclip and the light will blink twice and it will be done

If you don't get it the first time....repeat steps 1-5 again until the SRS light goes off, this saves you a money and time. Good Luck!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There is info on this in the diy section but the best info is here. this is the info zigenballz gave me
I've done it on my uhhhh, "track-only" 4thGen... It is potentially dangerous but fairly easy. Just always remember that there's an exploding gas filled bag inches from your face and take precautions. This is also against federal DOT laws so you can only do it on off road only, track cars....wink.

All the DIY's I've read say to disconnect the battery and let it sit for at least 10-15 minutes but I left mine for a good hour or so. Remember that any static charge can still set it off once you access the connector even if it isn't hooked up to the car's wire harness...

The rest is fairly simple. There is a panel on the bottom of the steering wheel, remove that and you will see the airbag harness and connected to that panel on the inside there is a yellow plug.

Disconnect the harness (being very careful to not touch the prong end at all) and put the yellow clip into the airbag side of the harness before you do anything else. It is an anti-static protection plug. Now just remove the four bolts holding it on and slide the airbag out and take it out of the car and walk it carefully to some out of the way place before you do anything else. (I felt like a bomb tech when I was carrying it.)

REMEMBER THAT EVEN AFTER YOU DISCONNECT IT ANY STATIC CHARGE CAN STILL SET IT OFF!!! so don't go walking it around your shag carpet, dragging your feet and showing your friends.
IF it explodes and you break your nose, I assume no liabilty whatsover... I told you to be careful.

Just search around for DIY's on the net... I couldn't find any for Accords when I was doing mine but ran across quite a few for Civics. It is totally universal for SRS Honda's...except for bolt placements and whatnot. and after you get it all done, your only worry will be disabling the SRS light...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------