Notices

Clunking noise from front end

Old 12-29-2004, 02:06 PM
VtecRacer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clunking noise from front end

I have a '98 Civic Ex (LX: American) I'm not sure what the problem is, my brother just came home and he said the engine is making a very loud "junking" noise.. sounds like the cylinders or pistons or something.. and the noise only occurs when he let off the throttle..

The noise sounded like the engine was about to blow when he was coming off the highway going about 90 km/h.. he let go of the gas and the noise was loud as hell..

I'm worried about the motor.. I've only got an Intake.. and axle back muffler.. nothing major..

Any idea's? Thanks
Old 12-29-2004, 05:19 PM
VtecRacer

Ok I just went for a drive and I did a test, my car's auto, so I just started from rest, and let go of the gas.. with every wheel rotation there was a clunking noise from right under my feet... I know my rotors are warped.. but this felt like it was something underneath the pedals.. I have an H Brace bar installed on my Front Lower Subframe..

Hope this helps your understanding of my problem.. now I just need to know exactly which part is the cause. Please help thanks.
Old 12-29-2004, 05:24 PM
VtecRacer

could it be the driveshaft? I'm not sure.. or do I just need an alignment.. my rotors are warped I know that, I was planning on changing them after the winter..
Old 12-29-2004, 08:25 PM
NeverBX
Snootchie Bootchies!!

could be the bar is loose or broken. alot of times with these high plastic speed bumps all the weight of the car gets slammed on the bar if the car is lowered and then the bar cracks/breaks under stress. havent checked under the car, eh?
Old 12-29-2004, 11:53 PM
VtecRacer

I took a look at the bar, it looks like it's still in good shape, not bent or anything

I did scrape the bar a few times.. but the noise didn't happen last night when I was driving.. it only started happening today

the sound comes when the wheels rotate, as I let off the gas and the wheels were spinning faster, so did the sound.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:57 AM
NeverBX
Snootchie Bootchies!!

sounds like it might be your brakes are dirty. mine used to make a scraping/clucnk sound when the brake dust used to build up. get some brake cleaner and clean the rotors.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:55 AM
alphaxxn
4500rpm hesitation

Originally Posted by VtecRacer
could it be the driveshaft? I'm not sure.. or do I just need an alignment.. my rotors are warped I know that, I was planning on changing them after the winter..

You don't have a driveshaft :thumbup:

My dad had a similiar problem with his EJ ,but it went away over time.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:15 AM
VtecRacer

hmm not quite sure.. cause the clunking noise and vibration I can feel from underneath the pedals.. maybe the front lower subframe.

Oh also, when I turn the wheel and move slowly, the sound gets louder.. does that help?
Old 12-30-2004, 10:07 AM
NeverBX
Snootchie Bootchies!!

if it gets louder when you turn it might be exactly what i said earlier. you might need to tighten the bar. if the bar is not tightened all the way it shifts alot even when going straight. put the car on a lift and thoroughly check it. my subframe did that when my bar wasn't tightened all the way down cause I had a hard time with the ABS lines being in the way of the bolt.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:30 PM
Zzhatch

Make sure your rims are tightened too