Notices

Service Question / Timing Belt

Old 06-11-2008, 09:00 AM
95GSRGuy
Kittenpurr Banshee scream

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service Question / Timing Belt

Hello all - I just bought an '06 TSX for my daughter, and I think it's a fine machine. I like to make to make maintenance schedules for the cars in the family by converting the owner's manual guidelines over to an Excel spreadsheet for the sake of clarity. This is also very impressive to people when it comes time to sell the car. In the case of the TSX this is hard, because of the way the car's computer tells you when it wants any particular service. I'm guessing that following legacy Acura/Honda guidelines would be close enough.

My specific question is about the timing belt. I couldn't find any information in the owner's manual about a standard 90,000 mile replacement for this item. Does it require eventual replacement? Is there actually a timing chain instead of a belt?

Thanks for any information.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:36 AM
95GSRGuy
Kittenpurr Banshee scream

This is not a overly-active forum, apparently. At any rate, for the sake of closure, I'll answer the question myself for the benefit of the cause.

The TSX uses a timing chain, so it is no longer a maintence item, per the Acura service department. They also recommend a valve adjustment at 105,000 miles, and don't sweat the water pump unless it starts to leak.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:08 PM
dogsTSX

Correct!
Old 07-02-2008, 02:42 PM
losiglow

I had no idea the TSX engine used a timing chain. In fact, I've never heard of a Honda motor using a timing chain (not that I'm as well versed as others). Is it still a pretty quiet motor?
Old 07-11-2008, 09:24 AM
Spec R

Originally Posted by losiglow
I had no idea the TSX engine used a timing chain. In fact, I've never heard of a Honda motor using a timing chain (not that I'm as well versed as others). Is it still a pretty quiet motor?
i thought all k-series used chains
Old 08-30-2008, 06:41 AM
A-series
v-card member alpha

^ me too. Fairly old thread I know, but I stumbled in here so...

I believe the recommended replacement mileage for those timing chains is 120,000 miles, not sure of the years. Wouldn't be bad to do it sooner though.

edit: wow, very late-in-the-game update too. Anyway though, 120k is right, but that's when they recommend it be inspected. There's no solid, on paper, replacement schedule for the chains. I might go ahead and have it replaced whenever the water pump happens to poop out, or if you have that replaced as a precaution - assuming the chains aren't that expensive, not sure.

Last edited by A-series; 12-29-2008 at 03:48 AM.