Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   TSX/03+ JDM/Euro Accord (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/tsx-03-jdm-euro-accord-106/)
-   -   TSX vs IS300...results AFTER my test drives of both... (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/tsx-03-jdm-euro-accord/224575-tsx-vs-is300-results-after-my-test-drives-of-both.html)

6SpeedTA95 02-12-2006 05:37 PM

TSX vs IS300...results AFTER my test drives of both...

Well guys I test drove a couple TSX's and a couple IS300's this weekend. As some of you know I'm beginning my research and test drives for my next car and first on the list is the IS300. Well lets just say that things have changed a bit...

The IS300:
I dont have to tell you guys about the IS300 but I'll do it anyways. The IS300 is in my opinion by far the best looking car on the outside. It is simply great in the looks department. I have always loved this car and drive a couple of them and pushing them fairly hard was an eye opener. While it definately looks the best on the outside it is not as good on the inside. Believe it or not there was more road noise in the IS300 than there was in the TSX. Wind noise was the same, but the IS300 had more road noise despite 20,000 fewer miles. The steering on the IS300 was great, road feel was pretty good second to BMW in book. Turn in was also excellent. The clutch also had the best feel, but was not as linear as the clutch in the TSX which runs contrary to what you'd expect after reading about them. The interior on the IS was very nice, seats were equally comfortable but the TSX felt more roomy especially in the backseat. Also the stereo as good as it is in the IS300 it doesn't measure up to the stereo in the TSX. The IS300 had better handling and it felt more tied down than the Acura front driver. However at 90mph the acura's were significantly quieter.

The TSX:
The TSX is plainer on the outside than the IS300 and it doesn't have the "Lexus" badge which for some people is a big deal. The TSX isn't a bad looking car, it is handsome but its not as sporty or as great looking as the IS300. However, once inside the Acura definately has the better interior. It's laid out perfect and being tall I felt the driving position was significantly better. The Acura steering was great, by far the best front driver I've ever driven, but it wasn't as good as the Lexus. Having said that, torque steer was non existant. Which is a good thing, steering turn in is instant but the feel just isn't up to par with the Lexus. Abrupt turning and hard cornering are all handled nicely by the TSX but the IS300 definately has an edge in this category. When it comes to the fun to drive factor, however, I'd rate the two as fairly similar. The transmission in the TSX is much better than it is in the IS300, the clutch doesn't provide as much feed back but its linear in its takeup and the gear changes are great. Some of you are probably wondering why I havent' addressed the power issue...well here it is the folks that criticize the 6 speed TSX's for being slow are just flat wrong. Either they've never really driven one or are extremely biased. The seat of the pants meter said the Acura had a bit of an edge in the power department and my wife agreed. While that is far from acurate I'd say the two are probably fairly evenly matched on the power end at WOT. Now below 3500rpm the Lexus has a clear advantage and its a big one, but from 4000rpm onward the TSX feels faster. Whether or not it is I don't know I didn't time anything. The TSX was quieter at speed especially as velocity builds and the stereo is great.

In summary I'll probably take whichever car I can get the best deal on. They both have pro's and con's and quite frankly the TSX is a fantastic car and the cheaper insurance 22/mo (I called and checked) and the significantly better mileage may be enough to push me that direction when its time to write the check.

Here's how I'd compare the two with eachother

TSX/IS300

Engine 9.0/8.0
Transmission 9.0/8.0
Brakes 7.5/9.5
Suspension 8.0/9.5
Feel 8.5/9.5
Fun to drive 9.0/9.0
Ride 9.0/9.0
Seat Comfort 9.0/8.5
Driving Position 9.5/8.5
Wind and Road Noise 9.5/8.5
Interior Design 9.5/7.5
Fit and Finish 9.0/8.5
Exterior Design 7.0/9.5

Overall I'd have to say its pretty damn close but I'd have to say the Acura is probably the better car I'd score it a 9.0/8.5

FallenAngelHIM 02-12-2006 07:07 PM

yo, that was a great write-up man. sounds like you have your hands tied. just my opinion, i'd take the TSX man. if things are fairly similar, you cannot go wrong with paying less for insurance and car. i personally love the TSX so i'd vote for TSX.

tom15425 02-12-2006 07:47 PM

Though I don't have experience with the TSX, I have two other acuras (a TLtypeS and an MDX) and both cars run beautifully. Also, if you like both cars about the same, I'd definitely go with the cheaper insurance. However, either choice seems like a winner.

Macleod 02-12-2006 08:07 PM

its funny, i see people on accord forums doing h22 swaps to get more power, turbocharging and such. you'll want more from the tsx in about a year, Go with the one with torque

jobrien 02-13-2006 03:43 AM

Good stuff. I think the TSX is going to win out for me when the time comes. I went to test drive one yesterday myself but the lot was closed. On Sunday, imagine that. Anyway, I did get to SEE one, just like I want. :D

The real "advantage" of the IS300 is the fact that it is RWD. But it's a sled.

And if insurance for the TSX is less, then it definitely has my vote.

6SpeedTA95 02-13-2006 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by jobrien
Good stuff. I think the TSX is going to win out for me when the time comes. I went to test drive one yesterday myself but the lot was closed. On Sunday, imagine that. Anyway, I did get to SEE one, just like I want. :D

The real "advantage" of the IS300 is the fact that it is RWD. But it's a sled.

And if insurance for the TSX is less, then it definitely has my vote.

IS300 is rwd...why do you call it a sled? They handle fanstatic...

skabone69 02-13-2006 06:54 AM

based on insurance prices and the actuall prices of the car I'd go with the TSX. If the IS was about the same price then it would be a real tough decision. you can't go wrong with either, but from a finical standpoint I'd get the TSX.

98CoupeV6 02-13-2006 07:03 AM

Haha I love the idiot RWD fanatics at the IS forum...they need to watch a Speed world challenge race. The TSXs cosistently win against BMWs and Lexus' in tight road courses. Chassis is as much of a factor as the drive wheels, and the TSX's chassis is superior by a long shot.

I kinda thought the IS was a little soft when I drove it :dunno: It handled nicely but once pushed it seemed to wallow a bit. But I only drove one once.

6SpeedTA95 02-13-2006 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by 98CoupeV6
Haha I love the idiot RWD fanatics at the IS forum...they need to watch a Speed world challenge race. The TSXs cosistently win against BMWs and Lexus' in tight road courses. Chassis is as much of a factor as the drive wheels, and the TSX's chassis is superior by a long shot.

I kinda thought the IS was a little soft when I drove it :dunno: It handled nicely but once pushed it seemed to wallow a bit. But I only drove one once.

When pushed hard the IS felt more tied down and I like a RWD setup better, also the suspension is firmer than the suspension in the TSX which I also like better.

98CoupeV6 02-13-2006 07:15 AM

How long are you going to keep this car for?