Notices

Hondata VS Dyno tuning on a TSX...

Old 02-09-2006, 08:11 AM
6SpeedTA95

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hondata VS Dyno tuning on a TSX...

I just wanted everyones thoughts and recommendations with reguards to tuning a TSX. The hondata stuff is expensive and generally off the shelf tuning results in lower gas mileage under normal driving conditions and running slightly rich at WOT. I'm a noob to the import thing so maybe hondata is the exception, but generally I've seen custom dyno tuning to provide better results and is much cheaper than the 600 dollar ECU flash. Are there any places that do dyno tuning on the TSX? Any place reputable in Tulsa, Oklahoma City or Kansas City?

I'd like your thoughts on the two options and why you'd choose which one.
Old 02-09-2006, 09:16 AM
AcuraFanatic

What do you have done to the car?
Old 02-09-2006, 10:27 AM
6SpeedTA95

Originally Posted by AF
What do you have done to the car?
I dont even have the car yet, I'm trying to read up on all the potential candidates and right now the IS300 and the TSX are at teh top of my list. I dont plan on doing much to it, Intake, Exhaust, maybe a header and a tune...exhaust and header are questionable because I want a highway friendly vehicle.
Old 02-09-2006, 10:34 AM
AcuraFanatic

Well Hondata is the pinnacle of reflashed ECU's in Honda's aftermarket and probably will be for some time. It's personal preference whether you want to go with Hondata or spend an hour or two on the dyno.

If you only plan on doing I/H/E, Hondata K100 would be perfect for you. There's countless dyno graphs of Hondata making big power gains with just bolt ons.

If you want a quiet exhaust and header package, I fully suggest Comptech's stuff. They're even available through most Acura dealers.

www.comptechusa.com
www.hondata.com
Old 02-09-2006, 10:34 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly the TSX probably isn't the right vehicle for you if you're going to spend $2-3k more right after you buy it to make it go faster. The K24 has a lot of potential but you'll have to sacrifice money, comfort and quietness for it. The IS300 isn't that much faster, if any faster. Have you looked at a used 330i, G35 or even a TL 6-speed? Or an Accord Sedan V6 6-speed?
Old 02-09-2006, 11:13 AM
6SpeedTA95

Originally Posted by 98CoupeV6
Honestly the TSX probably isn't the right vehicle for you if you're going to spend $2-3k more right after you buy it to make it go faster. The K24 has a lot of potential but you'll have to sacrifice money, comfort and quietness for it. The IS300 isn't that much faster, if any faster. Have you looked at a used 330i, G35 or even a TL 6-speed? Or an Accord Sedan V6 6-speed?
330i would be my top choice but relability concerns pretty much override that as a viable option...yes I can afford the car and repairs but honestly I dont want the headache...G35 is a good car but finding a 6 speed sedan with less than 50k miles is tough unless its an 03 model and they had some issues, the TL is a great car but I dont wanna spend the kind money required to get a good low mileage TL...an accord is a good car but doesn't really have a sporty suspension, in fact it down right sucks for spirted driving...the IS300 is a great car and lots of fun to drive, but the chassis is dated compared with the TSX and the TSX interior beats it hands down...having said that IS300 and TSX are both fantastic cars that I'm considering at the moment...

Why is it such a bad thing to make my cars faster? Every car I've ever owned the first thing I've done is a CAI and Exhaust (except my mazda I just did a CAI on that). I dont really know why thats a bad thing?

As for comptech if I get an exhaust which I'm not totally opposed to I want it to be quiet on the highway. Loud at WOT and when driving hard is ok...but loud on the highway at 80mph is just flat annoying.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:33 AM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95
330i would be my top choice but relability concerns pretty much override that as a viable option...yes I can afford the car and repairs but honestly I dont want the headache...G35 is a good car but finding a 6 speed sedan with less than 50k miles is tough unless its an 03 model and they had some issues, the TL is a great car but I dont wanna spend the kind money required to get a good low mileage TL...an accord is a good car but doesn't really have a sporty suspension, in fact it down right sucks for spirted driving...the IS300 is a great car and lots of fun to drive, but the chassis is dated compared with the TSX and the TSX interior beats it hands down...having said that IS300 and TSX are both fantastic cars that I'm considering at the moment...

Why is it such a bad thing to make my cars faster? Every car I've ever owned the first thing I've done is a CAI and Exhaust (except my mazda I just did a CAI on that). I dont really know why thats a bad thing?

As for comptech if I get an exhaust which I'm not totally opposed to I want it to be quiet on the highway. Loud at WOT and when driving hard is ok...but loud on the highway at 80mph is just flat annoying.
Slow down chief, noone said it was a bad thing, but you're going to be shelling out $4-5 easily if you don't install it all yourself. As far as the BMW goes, they're extremely reliable, but the cost of parts is high. I drive 40k a year and if I could afford a 330i (or liked the exterior...) I'd buy one. I'm not sure why you've ruled out the Accord so quickly...have you even driven a 6-speed? I didn't pick up much of a difference between a 6 speed and a TSX until I pushed pretty hard on the Accord. It's a lot easier to upgrade the suspension than try to squeeze 40 horsepower out of a car. The Accord and TSX are built on the same platform and the AV6 weighs only 100lbs more; the DNA is there. You could buy very good aftermarket struts and springs and get them installed for under $1000, then play around with sway bars and the like. All I'm saying is that to make any sort of very noticeable power difference in the TSX you're going to suffer in fuel economy, noise and possibly driveability. Buy an Accord, throw a grand into the suspension, buy some Goodyear GS-D3's, put premium gas in, and you'll kick the shit out of any TSX anywhere.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:49 AM
6SpeedTA95

Slow down chief, noone said it was a bad thing, but you're going to be shelling out $4-5 easily if you don't install it all yourself. As far as the BMW goes, they're extremely reliable, but the cost of parts is high. I drive 40k a year and if I could afford a 330i (or liked the exterior...) I'd buy one. I'm not sure why you've ruled out the Accord so quickly...have you even driven a 6-speed? I didn't pick up much of a difference between a 6 speed and a TSX until I pushed pretty hard on the Accord. It's a lot easier to upgrade the suspension than try to squeeze 40 horsepower out of a car. The Accord and TSX are built on the same platform and the AV6 weighs only 100lbs more; the DNA is there. You could buy very good aftermarket struts and springs and get them installed for under $1000, then play around with sway bars and the like. All I'm saying is that to make any sort of very noticeable power difference in the TSX you're going to suffer in fuel economy, noise and possibly driveability. Buy an Accord, throw a grand into the suspension, buy some Goodyear GS-D3's, put premium gas in, and you'll kick the shit out of any TSX anywhere.
BMW makes a good car but man maintenance can be a bitch as you said shit is expensive and at this point in my life I just dont know that its worth it to me. Also, I want a car that I can drive the piss out of and with a BMW while I'm sure I could (my friend does) I just dont know that I could stomach it personally.
The chassis from what I understand is different...the TSX is the euro accord which is significantly stiffer no?
Is hondata and a CAI really going to hurt my mileage on the TSX?
Old 02-09-2006, 12:18 PM
98CoupeV6
lots and lots of fail

Originally Posted by 6SpeedTA95
The chassis from what I understand is different...the TSX is the euro accord which is significantly stiffer no?
Is hondata and a CAI really going to hurt my mileage on the TSX?
Stiffer no, different yes. The JDM/EDM platform is slightly smaller but the engineering is basically the same. It feels tighter due to its smaller size but that can be fixed by upgrading the suspension.

CAI might or might not affect it based on the car's ECU logic and sensors. I have no idea if it can adjust the A/F ratio or not.

As for the Hondata, you'd have to check with them to see how they play with the intake VCT. I have no idea if they just advance the VCT timing or what.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:14 PM
Xtreme Racer

Until he hits a modded one that is.

You see....Accords are NOT the car to mod. Sure..theres some stuff here....some stuff there....but the BIGGEST manufactures have the TSX's back far much more than the accord. If the accord was SUCH a modable car..then realtime racing wouldn't have used the TSX. The accord IS a good car...don't get me wrong however the modability is what this guy wants. Something that the TSX has FAR superior parts for.

I'm sure you know that he can use a Header from ANY of the K motors....right? For example the DC Sports RSX-S specific Race header. He'll get HUGE gains with that in itself....add a CAI and some sort of exhaust and he's golden....he's already got a better power RANGE than the accord.

I'm sure your Accord sack riding has something to do with the fact that you think the accord is more trackable than the TSX..but it's not.

LOCALLY i've seen TSX's destroy accords on the track. I'm not talking about the one with no turns btw

Maybe you should do a little research on the dynamics of both cars..and then come back into this thread