Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   Track & Autocross (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/track-and-autocross-43/)
-   -   I want to go to the drag strip but I have shaved door handles... suggestions? (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/track-and-autocross/69964-i-want-to-go-to-the-drag-strip-but-i-have-shaved-door-handles-suggestions.html)

Tr0LL 05-16-2003 01:35 AM

I want to go to the drag strip but I have shaved door handles... suggestions?

I just bought a civic hatch with shaved door handles... Just dropped in a b20 so I am sort of curious how fast I am... I knew in advance that no door handles would be a problem if I wanted to take it to the track, but when I bought the car, I thought those track days were way behind me along with my integra and the street legals they used to have at Pomona... Guess I was wrong...

Anyway, how do I go about getting my car past tech... I HEARD that as long as you have something that can open the door from the outside of the car, it will be ok? Could I wire a button that will pop the doors and put it on the outside of the car just for track day? OR I was thinking I can wire up a fishing line/steel line and a lever or something and leave it hanging on the door (through the window) so that if you pull on it, it will open the door...

Finally, I am not going to buy a new door and put it on and repaint my whole car just to go to the track a few times a year so that option is out.

Suggestions? Please..... no comments about looks or opinions about shaved doors. I am just asking for alternatives here to get on the track...

CivicSiRacer 05-16-2003 05:54 PM

Leave your windows down?
Buy a G-force meter and you don't need to go to the track :)

white_n_slow 05-16-2003 05:59 PM

Maybe you could just remove the door all together. THat might be against the rules too, tho. :dunno:

B20B or B20Z? Let me know what your times are when you get them.

The Beav 05-16-2003 06:25 PM

don't you have to put some kinda popper on teh outside incase the remote's batteries die and you have to reprogram them

b_dyche 05-16-2003 07:31 PM

Finally, I am not going to buy a new door and put it on and repaint my whole car just to go to the track a few times a year so that option is out.

What about buying a used door and not painting it and swapping doors a few times a year?

Tr0LL 05-16-2003 10:36 PM

basically i can't take off my door.... i think taking off the door requires taking off the fender if I remember correctly.... cant' take off my fender because my body kit is molded to the fender... plus i wouldn't want to take all that off and realign the doors TWICE just to race a few times a year...

oh well, i'll just try the string thing and see if they let....

craig2teg 05-29-2003 10:08 AM

put windows down

Originally posted by CivicSiRacer
Leave your windows down?
Buy a G-force meter and you don't need to go to the track :)

Why would u put your windows down that would totally screw up aerodynamics:confused:

The Beav 05-29-2003 11:09 AM

Re: put windows down

Originally posted by craig2teg
Why would u put your windows down that would totally screw up aerodynamics:confused:
because there has to be a way for someone to get him out from the outside in case of an emergency, yes it would hurt aerodynamics

CivicSiRacer 05-29-2003 01:52 PM

Re: put windows down

Originally posted by craig2teg
It's not going to make a huge difference on a stock car that doesn't hit 12 or faster.

doctorsohc 05-30-2003 10:33 AM

you can run with your windows down if you have a helmet. I think NHRA rules say you must have a helmet if you hit 11s or if you don't have full dot glass or a convertible. I don't think open windows are going to affect your 1/4 times at all.