Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Basement (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/the-basement-2/)
-   -   Man Jailed Over 50-Cent Toll (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/the-basement/277673-man-jailed-over-50-cent-toll.html)

k3ifers 09-15-2007 06:17 AM

Man Jailed Over 50-Cent Toll

ROCHESTER, N.H. -- A Massachusetts man who insists his New Hampshire highway tokens are still valid just spent three days in jail because he insisted on using two tokens to pay a 50-cent toll.

Thomas Jensen, 68, of Braintree, said the state broke a contract with him and everyone else who bought tokens by refusing to accept them after January of last year. He was convicted of theft of services for continuing to use tokens after they were phased out.

‘‘I gave the state of New Hampshire money for the tokens, and I expect to be able to use them,’’ Jensen told The Patriot Ledger.

Jensen was driving to his New Hampshire summer home when he tried to pay the 50-cent toll with tokens, as he had always done.

The toll worker refused to take them and a state trooper at the plaza gave Jensen a citation.

‘‘(The trooper) said, ‘Just give him the 50 cents.’ I said, ‘I did, I gave him two tokens,’’’ Jensen told the newspaper.

Monday, a judge told Jensen he could pay a $150 fine, do community service or go to jail for three days. He choose jail.

‘‘Over my dead body was I going to give the state another dollar for the tolls,’’ Jensen said.

He told the newspaper that the jail was a clean, new facility and that the food was better than expected. He said he spent his time in jail talking with other inmates.

Jensen never told his wife he was in jail. Beverly Jensen said she only found out when asked by a television news reporter.

After being set free Thursday, Jensen said he's considering a lawsuit. He said the state should just accept tokens until they're all used up.

‘‘I just get offended by people trying to do me wrong,’’ he said. ‘‘They stole the value of these tokens from me.’’
that just made me laugh. good for that guy.

Black2KGSR 09-15-2007 06:26 AM

Good for him. I agree completely.

hitman619 09-15-2007 06:30 AM

East Coast toll roads
ftl

‘‘(The trooper) said, ‘Just give him the 50 cents.’ I said, ‘I did, I gave him two tokens,’’’ Jensen told the newspaper.
:rofl:

v6_accord_jerz 09-15-2007 06:30 AM

Damn, sounds like they gave him a free paid vacation. lol

dubcac 09-15-2007 06:53 AM

That is awesome.

95SiR 09-15-2007 08:40 AM

fuck the government. state and federal.

MQue 09-15-2007 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by hitman619 (Post 3630836)
East Coast toll roads
ftl
:rofl:

:squint: That was the first thing I noticed in cali there were no tolls:oh: It cost too much to go to NJ

Fight the power. That guy is:cool: in my book

BetterBob 09-15-2007 09:08 AM

awesome-tastic

so good, i had to make up a word

i hope he gets some sort of award

canada 09-15-2007 09:15 AM

Florida tolls are some of the highest in the nation.

I don't pay them so much anymore :oh:

bnuk 09-15-2007 11:00 AM

yeah it cost like 20$ in tolls to go to NJ from here, to new york its probably another 10.