Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Basement (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/the-basement-2/)
-   -   allergies (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/the-basement/234877-allergies.html)

clickwir 05-06-2006 10:57 AM

allergies

Anyone take ClaritinD or a generic for allergies?

Can you take more than one? Does it help?

I took one and my eyes are still itchy and nose is runny. Actually been taking one a day for about 2 weeks now.

CivicSiRacer 05-06-2006 11:07 AM

I take Clarinex around 1am and Clartin around 12pm.

My doctor told me since I have bad allergies you can take two (2) Claritin a day. But he didn't tell me the side effects

dubcac 05-06-2006 11:29 AM

Are you taking 24hr or 12hr Claritin? If you take the 12hr, you can take it twice a day. Taking the 24hr Claritin more than once can cause drowsiness according to the package. I take the 12hr Claritin-D Allergy & Congestion...it's the good stuff...you have to get it from behind the pharmacy counter. It works pretty well for me.

clickwir 05-06-2006 11:31 AM

It's actually a generic OTC of just 10mb of lortadine. It says only do one a day.... I just took another.

clickwir 05-06-2006 05:07 PM

wow. That extra pill really helped. An hour after taking it I felt fine again. I don't feel the least bit drowsy. Probably with my height and size makes it ok.

I might start taking 2 on a regular basis now. Damn histimine.

wedley2 05-06-2006 09:55 PM

i just suck it up like a man (all the snot running out of my nose that is...)

samatronz_182 05-06-2006 10:19 PM

hmmm I thought I had allergies so I took a Benedryl, it didnt work so a couple hours later I took a Claritin, that didnt work so what did my dumb ass do? I took a Nyquil...It worked, in fact it knocked my ass out and I slept all damn day...Good news, taking Benedryl, Claritin and Nyquil within 6 hours doesnt kill you.

dE.fUsEd 05-06-2006 10:34 PM

Nasal drops help alot with nose problems.
ClaritanD doesn't do shit for me. :(

Kestrel 05-06-2006 11:56 PM

How bad are your allergies? If they are really really bad (like nose is swollen, eyes continually itchy) then Claritin and OTC medications won't really help.

clickwir 05-07-2006 05:09 AM

When my nose really gets going, taking a couple hits of Afrin does the trick every time.... only problem is sometimes it's too much. Dries out my nose so much it hurts.

But taking 2 of the lortadine 10mg's seemed to do it.... so I'll see how today goes, if it gets really bad again I'll pop in another and give it an hour.

Kestrel 05-07-2006 08:34 AM

If it works for you that's great :) Typically anti histamines work best if you take them before you get symptoms though.

dubcac 05-07-2006 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by Kestrel
How bad are your allergies? If they are really really bad (like nose is swollen, eyes continually itchy) then Claritin and OTC medications won't really help.

I was in pretty bad shape about a week and a half ago...my eyes were itchy, watery, and swollen half shut...my nose was all clogged up...and the Claritin Allergy & Congestion (which contains 120mg psudeophedrine nasal decongestant and 10mg loratine for a 12hr dose) worked awesome. I take one in the morning before I go to work or play golf, and I'm fine all day. I might have a few eye itches here and there, but nothing major.

Kestrel 05-07-2006 06:00 PM

This winter I had a massive allergy to some indoor mold, and my nasal passages were all swollen. It was so bad that no antihistamine worked (because I already had a ton of histamine in my system) and so I ended up taking steroids to calm it down and reduce the swelling. And I had to clean my apartment from floor to ceiling :oh:

S14 05-07-2006 06:07 PM

Straight up benadryl allergy works for me. $8 for 48 of em.

CivicSiRacer 05-07-2006 09:18 PM

You shouldn't take Bendryl for longer than a few days. I did and I got an infection which is worse than allergies. plus it knocks me out for 8 hours.

I take 24 hour Claritin and my doctor said they have been doing studies of people taking two of them and are fine. But as I said ask your doctor first.

S14 05-07-2006 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by CivicSiRacer
You shouldn't take Bendryl for longer than a few days. I did and I got an infection which is worse than allergies. plus it knocks me out for 8 hours.

I take 24 hour Claritin and my doctor said they have been doing studies of people taking two of them and are fine. But as I said ask your doctor first.

Really? Where was your infection?

wedley2 05-07-2006 09:34 PM

my co-workers thought i was high when i walked in...my eyes were so irritated.

dubcac 05-07-2006 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by Kestrel
This winter I had a massive allergy to some indoor mold, and my nasal passages were all swollen. It was so bad that no antihistamine worked (because I already had a ton of histamine in my system) and so I ended up taking steroids to calm it down and reduce the swelling. And I had to clean my apartment from floor to ceiling :oh:

Yeah, those steroids are awesome from what I hear.