Honda-Acura.net

Honda-Acura.net (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/index.php)
-   The Basement (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/the-basement-2/)
-   -   Need help with refinishing wheels (https://www.honda-acura.net/forums/the-basement/234844-need-help-with-refinishing-wheels.html)

vtec4clyfury 05-05-2006 09:06 PM

Need help with refinishing wheels

I've had some 17" konigs on my accord for a while but when i got them from my friend they were really oxidized just on the aluminum areas of the rim. I'd like to just remove the layer of clear coat that hasn't chipped off and use a air grinder with a rubber wheel adapter to not dig out the aluminum and just level it off where it all looks clean.

But i've never done this sort of thing so whats the easiest process to get a nice shine to the aluminum area. I'm talking on the spoke, not like curb damage, that i don't care about. I'd just like a nice silver shine, not a chrome appearance but ya know...somethin nice. So i guess i'm asking is where can i find like clear coat that doesn't use an air gun because i don't have an air compressor yet. And whats the easiest way to make them look nice again.:confused:

wagon89 05-05-2006 09:46 PM

Send them out and let the pros handle it. Thats the easy way for me:oh:

Misa 05-05-2006 09:48 PM

clear coat also comes in aerosol cans.

vtec4clyfury 05-05-2006 10:11 PM

i was kinda hoping so. To have a pro place do it they quote from 120-300 dollars and brand new they are only 120 a piece. which seems stupid to pay to get them redone if i can just buy new ones. But i'm going to school and i'd rather spend that much money on other stuff...like tuition or books :D

TheOtherDave™ 05-05-2006 10:13 PM

I would strongly recommend having the rims media-blasted and professionally refinished with a polyurethane clear coat.

Media blasting the best way to strip the clear coat without running the risk of damaging the aluminium. If you start attacking it with a grinder, you run the risk of introducing circular scratches in the metal. Then you're in real trouble.

Even if you handle the clear coat process.. I'd get a separate quote for stripping the rims.

vtec4clyfury 05-05-2006 10:19 PM

i guess this really isn't worth the trouble is it. Might as well sell um on ebay and buy new ones.

R_Squared 05-05-2006 10:44 PM

hey, another Indiana member...and Plainfield at that. :wavey:

S14 05-06-2006 01:40 AM

I've resurfaced my wheels by hand, it was easy - but took about 30 to 45 min per wheel and the result was outstanding. I had some aluminum wheels that were curb shot plus clear coated. I started off with 600 grit sand paper and wet sanded them. I then went to 800, 1000, 1500, 2400. All wetsanded by hand and they turned out great. I then polished them up, but never sprayed em with clear coat.

I had to get them really smooth before I could polish them up with turtle wax alum polish I think. I might have used never dull too, I'm not sure.