Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Watch out for DPR Racing, Stole $9,000 from me. Thiefs.

Old 09-22-2003, 08:27 AM
jwaked

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Watch out for DPR Racing, Stole $9,000 from me. Thiefs.

Hi everyone, I just want to let you know what happened to me. Here is the complete story.
I live in Panama city, Panama and own 2 Road Racing Civics with B18C engines. I wanted to build the one I usually run to make mad power and torque so I called DPR Racing. I got Dan on the phone and we discussed what could be done. Then I emailed him what I had done and he gave me a price quote which was around $5,200 that included his cams that sell for $1,200 when I really wanted the JUN 3 or Toda Cs but he said that his cams would blow those cams away. . Well, I sent him a deposit and he started working on my parts. He was going to do a stage 6 port job, install dual springs, retainers, his cams, etc.

Well, time started passing and the price started going up. By the end, I had invested around $6,500. When he was done, Dan (which would talk to you like an old friend which seemed to be a nice person) started telling me how it would be best if I flew him to Panama ($600 plane ticked) and payed him $500 a day to supervize the installation of the parts, do a little work on my pistons and to a valve to piston clearance check. I told him that it would be too much money for all that but he convinced me telling me that he just wanted the best for me and he would take car of me.

Well, he flew down here and brougth the head and cams with him. That was on a friday. My mechanic took apart my engine(which was runnig great) and called us to begin the installation. Dan did a little cleaning on the pistons and then we began installing the head to check for clearance. We did a mock up and he did what he had to do. We left it at that I took him to the hotel. That night he made me find him a prostitute because he said that it helped him relax and that he does this everywhere he goes. Saturday comes and we finished the installation and proceeded to crank it up. While doing it, the timming belt came off so they shot it down right away. I was not there when that happened but Dan told me about the incident. I asked Dan if we should take it apart again to make sure everything was OK and he told me that it was not necessary, that he checked it out already with a little optic tool that has a light at the end of it. He told me that everything was fine, no problems at all. We installed the belt again and proceeded to crank it up. Everything looked and sound fine and strong (well, at least while it was inside the garage). I took him to the hotel and he made me get him another protitute. Sunday came and we went to test the car. We went out but it was raining so the testing was limited. One thing we did noticed was the the Vtec was not engaging. We started looking why it was not working and it turned out to be a sensor but testing was over, I never felt the car working properly but he said that the car is ready to whoop some ass.

I took Dan to the airport and that was that. Race weekend came and we took the car out for practice (have not been driven yet since Dan left). I did a warm up lap, very easy on the car. Dan said that he built the head to handle 10,000 RPMs if needed but 8600 would be enough because the cams were made for torque up to 8400 RPMs. Then on the second lap of practice I took it to 7000 RPMs and the engine broke down. We went ahead and opened it up and found out that one of the valves hit the piston(forged) and broke and damaged the block and the head. They were completely ruined. He made me fly him down here, pay his fees to make sure this would not happen and it did.

I was very mad so I emailed Dan and told him what hapened and the response I got was "too bad, keep us posted". That just made me furious because I had a very strong engine and as soon as Dan works on it it breaks. SO here is were I stand and what I have paid for so far:

Over $6500 in parts and labor
$600 plane ticket
$1500 Dan fees ($500 a day X 3 days)
$400 for hotel, phone calls he did and other expenses.
Total $9000 plus a very badly broken engine.

I emailed him again and I just went all out about how mad I was and how it was his fault because he built the parts, he tuned the computer, he checked for valve clearance and supervized the entire installation.

He wanted me to ship the ruined pistons, valve, spark plugs, etc. so I did. Now I have been emailing him for weeks with no answer.

I got ripped off big time. So a word of advice, stay away from that fu..er and do not let this happen to you. DPRRACING is a big thief.
_______

02 Corvette Z06
92 Civic CX GSR Road Racer
92 Civic VX GSR Road Racer
00 Toyota 4 Runner Turbo Diesel
00 Tony Kart
Old 09-24-2003, 07:45 AM
LSVTECKING
rebuilding

I can't even believe that you could get talked into doing all of that. But that really sucks.
Old 09-25-2003, 12:17 AM
infamous1se619

edited for content
Old 09-25-2003, 07:36 AM
h22avid
Sleeper...Creeper...

Originally posted by infamous1se619
I'm a fucking piece of shit.
HUH?!?!
Old 09-25-2003, 08:10 AM
BustedLX
Rice Rocket

That's one hell of a story. So what are you going to do now jwaked?
Old 09-25-2003, 10:12 PM
Sunny

that suxs man , better luck next time
Old 09-28-2003, 12:00 PM
boostlee

damn that sucks, andi was looking to do head work with DPR too. hmmmm....

Updated Turbo Prelude Pics
Old 09-30-2003, 05:54 AM
Therin

First thing to do is talk to a lawyer (sp?) and get that kind of thing straightened out. I'm sure with a good one you can have him (dan) refund all your money and have him replace your engine.
Old 10-06-2003, 01:58 PM
raiden571
turning u inside out

send him a prostitue with aids, then tell him 2 months later and say "keep me posted"
Old 10-06-2003, 06:25 PM
DriftKing

Originally posted by raiden571
send him a prostitue with aids, then tell him 2 months later and say "keep me posted"
hehehe thats the best idea ive heard so far.