Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

mini me d16y7

Old 09-21-2003, 01:17 AM
97civic-vti

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mini me d16y7

can some one help me regarding a mini me swap for a y7, i searched the forums and found nothing about a d16y7 head swap. I hope someone here has the knowledge to do this! SOMEONE HELP US y7 OWNERS!
Old 09-21-2003, 01:34 AM
xsists

what do you want to know about it? its a y8 head on a y7 block... there is more invloved but its along the lines of a ls/vtec swap... just swap in a different motor (fawk b-series, go h-series) or just put a d16y8 in...
Old 09-21-2003, 02:34 AM
97civic-vti

Default hello!

as the post implies i need detailed instructions on how to make a d16y7 into a y8. even if i have the money to get a h22 or b16 i dont want it! i want to build a mini me swap so i could get more detailed know how about my engine. eventually i will get a more powerful engine to disect and learn from, but for now...

HELP!!!!
Old 09-28-2003, 07:31 PM
97civic-vti

Default noobs

no one knows huh? noobs!
Old 09-29-2003, 04:29 AM
AwwsChwA

go to www.hybrid-honda-perf.org

there's a big article on the mini-me swap. But, a few questions remain...

1) why would you swap a Y8 head onto a Y7 block; why not just find a complete D16Y8? After you're done buying new gaskets, buying the VTEC control system, modifying your car's wiring to accomodate the VTEC, having the head surfaced/cleaned, and spending all the time on swapping the heads, you'll be much better off with a complete engine.

2) Are you doing this because of the horsepower gains? Because I can tell you, a Y8 head on a Y7 block will only give you VTEC, and that's it. Now, if you want to do a head swap for power, what you want is a D16A6 block combined with that Y8 head. That setup combines the flat-top A6 pistons with the smaller combustion chambers of the Y8 head (compared to the A6). That translates to around 10.5:1 compression ratio, and you also get the VTEC to add a few more horsepower.

3) What's making you stay with a SOHC? If it's cost, then go for it, we all understand price limitations (broke college student here). But, if you're looking for some real balls from your car, a DOHC swap is a great way to go. The B18A seems to be the cheapest out there, cuz there's no wiring modification required. The B16A is next in line, and they go up from there.

Basically, a complete Y8 engine is gonna be your cheapest and most reliable bet. A D16A6 block/Y8 head combo will make the best SOHC power without breaking the bank buying tons of custom parts. A DOHC swap would give your car monster potential, but will cost quite a bit more.
Old 11-03-2003, 12:22 PM
bustah49
Mr. Motorhead

http://crx.honda-perf.org/articles/z6swap/z6swap.html