Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

RPM jumping and engine sputtering

Old 09-16-2003, 09:06 AM
bradsmit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RPM jumping and engine sputtering

Hey,

I have a 95 Accord V6 with the ongoning problem of my RPM gauge jumping around and then sometimes falling to 0 and staying there. Not a big deal but recently this RPM gauge jumping has been coupled with my engine sputtering slightly. I will be traveling at 120 km oh highway and gauge will be jumping and I can feel the car slow down just slightly then regain a second later (slight sputter).

I have noticed when I step hard on the gas the RPM needl will either read the correct RPM's or fall to 0 and stay there till I return to a normal cruising speed then it will start jumping again.

Any idea what this could be? ignition problem?

Thanks...
Old 09-16-2003, 06:25 PM
HavocR

check your engine grounds. Let me know how it turns out.
Old 09-22-2003, 06:11 AM
bradsmit

Default Checked Ground.....

The ground from ther block to the frame right at the front is split where it attaches to frane and block and it is also corroded badly, has this green crap all over it...

could this be the problem?

Grounding would effect RPM gauge and sputtering?
Old 09-22-2003, 04:46 PM
HavocR

Clean the connection and change the ground wire, if your ignition system or ecu is not grounded, it would cause probs like that. Same thing happened to me.

Let me know if it works.
Old 09-24-2003, 06:20 AM
bradsmit

Default Thought it worked...but NO

I replaced the ground from the block to the frame with one of those braided copper ground wires, I initially thought it worked but then on ride into work today... same shit.

Maybe more grounds have to be replaced, the one from battery to block looks corroded too...

Maybe I have to go to a garage, don't really want to though, god knows what they will say and charge to fix problem.

Thanks though HAVOCR
Old 10-01-2003, 02:51 PM
HavocR

Default Did you fix it???

I was wondering if you fixed that problem yet, cuz my car actually started doing it again and I can't figure it out.
Old 10-28-2003, 06:39 AM
Capybara

My 93 Civic was doing that & it turned out to be a bad coil. Easy fix for me once I realized what was up. RPM would jump up & down violently with no change in true engine RPM at first. After a wile it would randomly jump around & the engine would lose RPM & sometimes sputter to a stop. If I let it sit & cool off for a while it would start up like nothing was wrong. I figured that my coil was cracked & failed when warm.
Old 10-28-2003, 07:54 AM
bradsmit

Default very interesting

Thanks for your input...

Thats very interesting about the coil...have to check that out...

Is coil expensive to replace??
Old 10-28-2003, 08:54 AM
aero3685

coil is prolly around 50-70. But if its not that, its your distributor. So try the coil first, if not, return it, and get the dist(~$150-200)
Old 10-29-2003, 10:23 PM
EK9

hey i have some what of the same problem. I drive a 96 hatchback with a b18c1 sawp. When i hit around 5 rpm it spudders really bad back and fourth like crazy and my v tec wasn't working. I checked my ground and it was cracked so i replaced it and it didn't seem to be the problem. I realized that i had a header leak. So you might want to check on ur manifold to see if its leaking air through bad gaskets, and check where ur headers bolt on to ur exhauste pipe.