Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Exhaust gas in coolant

Old 09-14-2003, 10:19 PM
VTEC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust gas in coolant

My car overheats all the time and after repeatedly filling up the radiator, I took it to a shop. $70 and a cooling system diagnostic later, I was told that exhaust gas is in the coolant.

So what caused this and where do I go from here?
Old 09-15-2003, 08:12 AM
91Accord
Huh???

Cracked head or blown head gasket...take off the head and take it to the machine shop and have it magnafluxed. This is a test to see if the head is cracked. If it is, congratulations you are going to get to purchase a new head. If it isn't, just get a gasket kit and reinstall it. Make sure to get the helms manual and torque the bolts EXACTLY as specified.
Old 09-15-2003, 01:54 PM
VTEC

Originally posted by 91Accord
Cracked head or blown head gasket...take off the head and take it to the machine shop and have it magnafluxed. This is a test to see if the head is cracked. If it is, congratulations you are going to get to purchase a new head. If it isn't, just get a gasket kit and reinstall it. Make sure to get the helms manual and torque the bolts EXACTLY as specified.
Will the head still need to be milled or whatever they call it even though there's no cracks?
Old 09-15-2003, 07:32 PM
ludeboom

first off
what type of car, and engine preferably if you know that much

secondly, good chance you can buy a goddamn used head and have some1 strap it on there 4 ya, check ebay.

first tho i need to know #1

~boomer
Old 09-15-2003, 11:21 PM
Kai
Rotorphile.

Originally posted by VTEC
$70 and a cooling system diagnostic later, I was told that exhaust gas is in the coolant.
For $70, they should tell you what was causing it. Any idiot (no insult intended) can tell if combustion chamber gasses are leaking into the cooling system.

My guess would be the head gasket. Remove head, replace gasket, reinstall head. Easier said then done, but it is by no means hard.
Old 09-16-2003, 10:11 PM
VTEC

Originally posted by ludeboom
first off
what type of car, and engine preferably if you know that much

secondly, good chance you can buy a goddamn used head and have some1 strap it on there 4 ya, check ebay.

first tho i need to know #1

~boomer
D16Z6 in a Civic. 187,000 miles on it.
Old 09-17-2003, 07:53 PM
sunshine
Torqueless Wonder

yes the head will need to be milled to get rid of any minor warpage and get a good mating surface for the gasket. How much you want to mill is up to you.