Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

How exactly does an engine knock sound?

Old 09-03-2003, 07:55 AM
r4integra
R is for Racing!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How exactly does an engine knock sound?

I was sitting in a quite parking lot last night with the engine running, I had my radio on. I random bass noise coming from the right side that was inconsistant with the music, so I turned off the radio. But then I heard the bass sounding noise again. I thought, maybe someone has their radio up in the far distant with the windows down.. I get out and I don't hear anything, so I turn the engine on again and I hear the noise again. Its not a loud bass noise, but it's not a sharp pinging noise either. Its not frequent either... maybe 1 or 2 knocks every 10 seconds... when I reved up I hear the noise alittle more frequently Remember I was idle, not moving...
I'm trying to rule out if its engine knocking or a tranny bearing... What exactly does an engine knock sound like? Is it a loud ping noise or a more deep bass sounding noise?
Old 09-04-2003, 06:33 AM
Civic Type Sev

I don't really know what an engine knock sounds like but if you want to rule it out try adding an octane booster into your fuel tank and see if the knocking goes away.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:09 AM
InsertNameHere
Insert Title Here

Default Re: How exactly does an engine knock sound?

Originally posted by r4integra
I was sitting in a quite parking lot last night with the engine running, I had my radio on. I random bass noise coming from the right side that was inconsistant with the music, so I turned off the radio. But then I heard the bass sounding noise again. I thought, maybe someone has their radio up in the far distant with the windows down.. I get out and I don't hear anything, so I turn the engine on again and I hear the noise again. Its not a loud bass noise, but it's not a sharp pinging noise either. Its not frequent either... maybe 1 or 2 knocks every 10 seconds... when I reved up I hear the noise alittle more frequently Remember I was idle, not moving...
I'm trying to rule out if its engine knocking or a tranny bearing... What exactly does an engine knock sound like? Is it a loud ping noise or a more deep bass sounding noise?
When my engine was knocking it sounded like someone knocking on wood.
Old 09-04-2003, 05:42 PM
LSVTECKING
rebuilding

Does it make the noise when your driving? If so usually when an engines knock sensor picks up something it electronically retards the timing causing either a code or running problem.
Old 09-04-2003, 10:00 PM
Gasoline Fumes
Automotive Enthusiast

It's not very likely for your engine to ping/knock while idling. Engines ping under load, like accelerating or going up hills. It's kind of like a knocking or rattling noise.