Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Serious Engine Probs

Old 09-01-2003, 12:50 AM
HavocR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serious Engine Probs

OK, my 93 Prelude Si 2.3 has been running fine at 106k miles then one day I'm driving and around 3000 rpm it cut in and out a couple times. My clutch is bad, so I thought it was just a little slippage.

Couple days later, it cuts in and out again and the car starts to rough idle, and a lot of back fire at idle, then it stalls at idle unless the revs are kept up. At one point, the car wouldn't even restart until I waited for awhile. Anyways, after awhile it ran normal again.

Thought it was my egr, since I was getting a code 12 (egr failure) on long freeway drives, so I plated the egr, the prob went away but then came back in a couple hours of driving.

These probs are really occasional, but I am thinking along the lines of fuel injector or fuel pump probs????

The coil, plugs, wires, fuel filter, cap, rotor are all new. The distributor is about 2 years old. Timing was also recently done, as with valve clearances. Any input would be great, sorry for the long post.
Old 09-01-2003, 03:18 PM
qtiger

Intermittant vacuum leak?
Old 09-01-2003, 09:32 PM
HavocR

thats what I was maybe thinking, but if it was a vacuum leak, the problem should constantly be there. Also, I think my car runs a little better when a have 1/3 tank of gas, but I don't have a dyno to confirm that.

I think the fuel pump may be going, cuz if it was the relay or injenctors the problem would be constant.
Old 09-02-2003, 01:49 AM
drift
Flaccid Member

Originally posted by HavocR
I think the fuel pump may be going, cuz if it was the relay or injenctors the problem would be constant.
not true. the main fuel relay could have faulty wiring, causing intermittent "burps" of the relay.