Notices
Engine Swaps, Tech & Tuning Swaps, N/A Performance, Forced Induction, Engine Management, & Troubleshooting

Way to ruin a weekend

Old 08-24-2003, 03:17 PM
T04ECVC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Way to ruin a weekend

Recently i heard a very nast noise from what seemed to be my head. Pulled off everything (Turbo, pipind and then head) and I don't see anything obvious. So I decide to see if the pistons have any extra play. #4 good, same for 3 and 2. Then I press down on the #1 piston and it moves downward about 2mm. OH SH%T!!

Let the fun begin.... I pull the oil pan, oil pickupetc and i can see the the #1 rod. I go to loosen it and the rod moves side to side and up and down like its loose. Pop off the rod cap and one side of the bearing falls out. Push the rod up and the other half falls out. They had been beat up pretty good, but the crank doesn't look too bad. I still have to remove it and have it checked tho.

The other thing I saw was that the lower part of the cylinder had been chipped away by the piston and I found 2 ends of oil squirters. That means 2 broken oil squirters, spun rod bearing and probably new rod. Does any one know if the chipped cylinder will be a problem? I know I should just get it sleeved, but damn that out of my budget at the present time. Also will i most likely need a new crank? It doesn't look as beat up as the bearings. Just a few scratches but not really deep at all. So my weekend went to crap.

Another question is, if I use a b16 block and internals, will it work with a gsr head?
Thanks and sorry its so long